I’m running into a weird issue with my new Supermicro H13SSL-NT motherboard in my new build and was hoping someone here might have some insight. Basically, whenever I shut down the system (both from the OS or from the BMC) the system powers off for a split second and then immediately turns back on. It’s almost like I issued a reboot. It happens across different operating systems, and I’ve gone through quite a bit of troubleshooting already.
What’s really frustrating is that there have been a few times where the shutdown actually worked normally, but I have no idea what was different in those cases. Trying the same thing without changing a thing results in the usual issue. A long press on the power button (or a forced power off in the bmc) works fine, but anything else just results in an immediate reboot.
One thing to note is that the motherboard came with BIOS version 3.4, and I immediately upgraded to 3.5 before doing any real testing. So I don’t know if the issue was present in 3.4 or if the upgrade introduced it. I did try downgrading back to 3.4 later on, but that didn’t help.
Here’s what I’ve tried so far:
Reset the bios to optimized defaults
Downgraded BIOS to 3.4
Set “Restore on AC Power Loss” to “Stay Off” in the BIOS.
Disabled the onboard NIC’s Wake-on-LAN and PME wake features.
Reset the BMC and even reinstalled the BMC firmware.
Tried with no front panel connections (completely unplugged the header).
Removed all PCIe devices (not incliding the SSDs).
Tried shutting down from multiple OSes: TrueNAS, Ubuntu Server 24.04, Linux Mint, and Windows PE.
I’m experiencing the same issue on my H12SSL-I and found this thread while troubleshooting. I’ve tried all the same steps as you and it still turns on immediately after shut down.
I’m not sure if the H12 and H13 series have anything in common, but I’ll post back here in case I somehow figure out a solution.
I have two of these boards and one will reboot like yours (with a 9575F CPU) , and the other honors shutdown properly (9015 CPU). They both have the same firmware & BMC versions, and are configured with similar BIOS settings, but with very different hardware: the 9015 is basically empty save for 2 M.2s, 2 SATA DOMs, and 2 16GB DIMMs. It’s just a test mule that gets PCIe cards swapped in & out a lot.
I had the same issue. It ended up being something to do with an internal USB hub powered by sata.
I tried all the things you have (multiple OS installs, bios settings, grepped all the logs). In my case everything worked fine after the initial OS install, but updating packages caused the reboot-on-shutdown behavior to start. When I switched cases I ditched trying to get RGB/PWM fan hubs working, via this USB2 hub, and that’s when I realised where my issue was.
I’m convinced this is hardware (device driver outside of the os?) related. There’s nothing in journal log help debug it.
I’d be suspicious of anything you’ve got plugged into power. My theory is the powered usb hub was triggering the reboot.
If this doesn’t help you, I also disabled infiniband and the watchdog functionality in the bios. But im fairly sure it was the “hardware” causing the problem.
That’s why I unplugged all PCIe devices. At that time only one USB stick and both M.2 SSDs were plugged into the motherboard. The SAS backplane was powered but had no connection to the motherboard. Still no change. At least that helped me confirm that the ConnectX-6 isn’t at fault. The onboard nic was connected of course but this had all WOL features disabled and doesn’t feature IB.