Supermicro H12SSL-C Posts but no IPMI

Hey everyone,

I have a Supermicro H12SSL-C with an Epyc 7443… Everything was working fine and I changed nothing about the system except for swapping the case it was in. Upon trying to start it up again, it boots into TrueNAS… however I have no IPMI. The LEDM1 (BMC Heartbeat LED) does not turn on at all, I get no video out from the VGA, and the IPMI LAN interface is not grabbing an IP. It does, however, flash its “link” LED (Left LED on the NIC).

I have taken the CMOS out, tried different power supplies, taken out all devices from the MOBO except CPU & RAM. I wasn’t sure if it was an issue with the fact I set a static IP before so I went in and deleted the entries (Forget option) from the Unifi console… nothin! I am leaning towards its not a networking issue because that damn LEDM1 isn’t coming on at all but idk!

Any help would be much appreciated. Hopefully I haven’t pulled all of my hair out by the time I figure this out… Makes ya wonder if Ryan struggled with the same thing at one point :wink:

Since there was a chassis change, here are a couple physical things to double-check:

• The inside mounting hole near the RAM slot / power connector corner of the board is in a non-standard place, so make sure the chassis doesn’t have a standoff in the usual place touching the bottom of the board. (Since it boots, probably not this.)
  • If the rear panel shield isn’t perfectly aligned, it may be pressing on the UID button. This button is handled entirely by the BMC, so…
1 Like

Did not know about the UID button… Wish it was that but unfortunately it doesn’t appear to be either or those :confused:

Shot in the dark here, but have you tried swapping it back into the original case and see if it still works correctly there?

Reviving an old thread. I have a same issue with no BMC heartbeat. IPMI in bios is not detected. The BMC led is off at all times. System boots fine and gives a video signal with a separate video card. The board is an H12SSL-i
I have googled for hours and tried all options I could think of and found. Nothing helped so far. A cry for help. Perhaps someone has any new ideas.

In my case there was a small scratch that must have occured when moving to a new case. Ended up returning.

These are fragile boards, see H12SSL-I Stuck at "bmc initiating" | ServeTheHome Forums

It wasnt NewEgg by any chance was it! :smile:

Just my two cents: Had an H12SSL-CT which had exactly the same issues: No BMC but also no VGA. NICs on the rear I/O were indicating the some kind of connection was there.

Changed the PSU to start the trouble shooting somewhere and after that the board was totally dead.

Had to replace it with a new one.

As I am based at Europe/Austria I tried to reach out to Supermicro if they could check/repair the board for a fee as it was already out of waranty - “We won’t do that.”