Suggestions on Upgrading a backup storage server

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the forum; I have been running a TrueNas Core backup storage server to store several games (GTA, Forza Horizon 5, FIFA, etc.) and homework files for school. I am using an ISCSI connection to my main computer to download several steam games I want to play (~2.5TB worth). The problems are the random lock-ups and shutdowns of the system. The system is old because I repurposed it with hardware lying around. When the system shutdowns and reboots, the CMOS is always cleared, and you have to press “F1” to run the setup.

The setup of the system is as follows:

CPU: Intel i5-3450
Cooler: ID-Cooling IS-40X 45mm height cooler.
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 2500
Motherboard: Asus P8H61-M LX2 R3.01 LGA 1155
RAM: ADATA 1066 MHz 2x4GB = 8GB
Case: iStarUsa Group Kit - 2U Compact Rackmount (D-200)
PSU: Corsair SFX 450 Watt
Storage: 2x4TB mirror configuration
Boot drive: 2x 512GB mirror boot drives

I configured this server to be reliable without using RaidZ or RaidZ-2 because I want this machine to run with little maintenance.

The machine has been running for ~ 3 years without problems until recently as of two weeks ago. I updated the motherboard BIOS’s latest version (0605). I ensured the motherboard jumpers were in the correct spot and even changed the CMOS battery. I do not run any plugins or jails on TrueNas it is just storage.

I plan to upgrade this machine, but I’d like to know what parts I should purchase. The budget is around $250-350 dollars. If possible, I would like the motherboard to support PCI-E bifurcation because I plan on buying NVME in the future and implementing the special metadata device. I do have an Asus Hyper M.2 X16 Card V2 on hand. Due to my use case I would prefer a GPU that is already integrated into the CPU. I am not running services that require a dedicated GPU.

I am still new to the server/homelab area so any suggestions would be great. Intel and AMD configurations are welcomed. Thanks!

If you still want to use TrueNAS Core which works fine for what it is you need to stick with a bit old hardware due to core being based on FreeBSD 13.0

For now:
Intel 11th (or older but be aware of hardware mitigations involved), Intel NIC and 3200Mhz RAM.
I think that’ll be hard to fit within 350$ infortunately…

Asus Pro B560M-C/CSM is about 100 EUR (Intel LAN)
I don’t know if you can use the 16x slot while utilizing integrated graphics.
16Gb RAM at 3200Mhz ~40 EUR
Intel i5-11400 Boxed ~150EUR (or a Pentium Gold but you might want to look up extensions on those)

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.