Suggestions on PC build

I am currently running a PC I bought off a co-worker at my internship from college:
intel Q6600
evga nForce 680i SLI motherboard
Nvidia GeForce 8800 ultra

As a software developer professional, and now getting into 3d printing/3d modeling, and video transcoding this computer (though it has served me well) is showing it’s age as many programs don’t support the graphics card and the CPU is feeling slow. I don’t really do gaming, so I don’t need a top end graphics card - just something supported by video transcoding software and 3d software which seems like nvidia(I love linux, so this makes me sad).

So I decided to build my first PC. I know things are kinda weird right now, but seeing as I hold onto my computers for a long time I don’t mind buying some overkill parts (like motherboard) so I can easily upgrade later. I figure the ryzen 3600 is the best bang for my buck right now, and if I get a nice motherboard, I can later upgrade to a 3950x when they have come down in price (say 3-5 years).

With that I give you my pcpartspicker build:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
Motherboard: Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Green 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME Ultra Platinum 750 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

I was originally going to go with asrock creator motherboard, but after watching Wendel’s video about the Aorus Master and all the nice rear IO I think it will serve my needs better as I don’t really see a use for thunderbolt.

Build looks good to me.

Two minor points:

• Get an aftermarket cooler. That way your CPU runs cooler and your PC makes less noise.
    Noctua NH-U12S is somewhat costly compared to other options (I have this in use)
    CoolerMaster Hyper212 Evo was (or still is) the default option, the mounting hardware is said to be its biggest flaw
    Thermalright Macho is a lot of heatsink. A friend of mine is happy with it.

• The PSU is a bit oversized, 500W or 600W would be enough and save you some money.

I figured I would get a cooler when I switch to a higher end CPU. I currently have a zalman CPU cooler and it is obnoxiously loud. I am hoping that with my new CPU case and the sound dampening padding the stock cooler wouldn’t be too bad.

As for the PSU, I wanted seasonic as from what I have heard they are the best, and using PC part picker this was one of the cheaper options that still had 650 watts. I don’t mind the extra power as it says it will run fanless if only using 50% load. Is there another brand I should be looking at besides seasonic that has the best reputation?

1 Like

Depending on which one, you may be able to get a a 120mm fan as replacement for the stock one.

Can’t go wrong with SeaSonic, yep.

As for power, the SeaSonic PSU calculator comes out at less than 400W, the BeQuiet PSU calc comes out at 250W (seems a bit low?)
Was just an idea to shave some bucks of.

Depending on which one, you may be able to get a a 120mm fan as replacement for the stock one.

If I was going to fix my current PC I would do this, but I think it is time to retire it (built in 2008) to being a linux server.

Was just an idea to shave some bucks of.

I appreciate it, but I am willing to spend the extra $50 to have a very good PSU and have room in the future for extra hard drives(my case can fit 8+) or a much more power hungry graphics card/CPU combo.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.