Suggestions on best Hypervisor to use with TrueNAS Core as the storage solution

Hi all,

So far, I’ve been running Windows Server 2022 Enterprise as an Hypervisor, which then has several SCSI mounts to my TrueNAS Core box.
Both servers are using a 10Gbs link, however, I have the option to increase this if I link the dual port nics. I haven’t done it so far, since I don’t know 100% if it would take really advantage of it.

The VMs are a mix between Windows VMs and Ubuntu (to run Docker) and something I’ve always tried is to have storage be transparent to the VMs, so that they see the storage as a normal disk.

The performance I’m getting is not great, but usable considering its all spining rust. (Raid 10, 4 drives is what I’m using for the VMs).

What I’m looking is for suggestions and perspective, regarding what Hypervisor to use, which will provide a good performance using remote storage on TrueNAS and a reliable and low overhead snapshot system?
Right now, doing snapshots from TrueNAS side doesn’t really work properly, since TrueNAS just sees block storage and can make a snapshot in a moment, which causes some data to be lost if restored from there. This is a software limitation that is using this storage I believe.

Also, any tips on how to test, tune and improve the pools performance for this purpose?

Thank you.