Suggestions for a Smart-ish switch for hot water geyser

Hi All

First, I’ve never done anything “smart” in my house apart from the 1Gb network wired throughout. So forgive me if I’m asking something stupid, but trying to google this gives me a ton of results for network switches, cloud connected stuff, or stuff that can’t handle the load of a hot water geyser.

The problem:
We have constant power outages and these outages shift and change depending on how constraint the grid is and the day of the month. A local company created a mobile app that we all use to keep track of changes, but they also have an API available with 50 free requests a day.

Basically I want to give the geyser a fixed timer and then I want to query the API to check when my power will be off and then adjust when the geyser needs to turn on accordingly.

Example:
Normally the geyser will turn on at 4am and then off again at 6am. (Currently we do this manually)
But if we have a power outage from 4-6am (or sometimes 2-6am), we need the geyser to turn on earlier so we have some hot water when we all get up in the morning.

Currently if there is going to be an outage in the early morning hours, we leave the geyser on all night and this is the main thing I want to change.

The idea/Requirements :
-I want to have the logic live on my Proxmox server. I can code this myself and that means the switch does not need to be that “smart” or connect to the cloud. I’d like to keep this local.

-It will be nice if I can query power draw and usage from the switch. This will allow me to do some data logging, but if the power draw is below 500w after it was turned on I know the geyser is hot and I can then turn it off early.

-Would also be preferable for the “smart switch” to have ethernet. Wifi will work, but for the reliability I’d like ethernet. Getting ethernet to my power board is not any issue either and this I can also do myself.

-Our geyser pulls about 4000w while heating the water. Not sure if it has a spike when turning on, but I would prefer something that can handle at least 5000w to be sure.

-If possible, I’d like it if the switch has some kind of manual override. Meaning, we still have a physical switch that can turn on the geyser regardless of what the logic on my server says. Yes, I can make some web gui (Which I’ll do anyway) so we can override it with our phones or anything with a browser, but I live with a few people who struggle with technology and it will just be much better for my own sanity if there is a physical switch. It will also be useful if I need to take the server offline for maintenance or upgrades, but mainly it’s for my sanity…

-I will get an electrician to install the switch to make sure that it’s all done properly. Once the smart switch and physical override is in I can handle the logic.

-I will also put everything up on Github… it might not be pretty, but I’ll make sure it works at least :wink:

As you can see from the above, our somewhat unique electricity problems means I need something I can do all the logic for myself. The switch should just receive a simple “turn on” or “turn off” signal and a bonus would be if it can return some power draw info. An IoT switch with it’s own timer or connected to the cloud won’t do exactly what I want or need. Maybe there’s some kind of off the shelve solution I’ve not found yet, but even if there is I think I’d like to roll my own anyway.

So… any suggestions for a smart-ish switch that can do the above?
Or am I being an idiot and making this much harder that it needs to be?

Something like this is probably what your looking for:

https://www.amazon.com/smart-light-switch/s?k=smart+light+switch

As for further googling instead of smart switch look for IOT switch. Should save you a brain cell or 2 going forward!

Hope it helps!

1 Like

Found a post of someone who used a Sonoff switch with a 40A relay. I could probably do something similar, but the sonoff switch isn’t quite what I’m after as I would like to avoid cloud stuff and also to do some power monitoring if possible over ethernet.

At what voltage?
120V, 230V, 200V 3-Phase, 400V 3-Phase
There are some Big Boy Relays, but they are pricey.

1. a smart-socket and hook that to the coil of an appropriate relay. Like @thetazman suggested

2. Arduino Uno with an ethernet shield (or an SBC)

3. A PLC, of sorts Example

For the complete DIY-solution, you may want to put the controller on a UPS so it can stay alive without grid power.

2 Likes

Have you considered using a raspberry pi or other sbc and a relay?

Bit more work but would really give you what you want!

Yea, it’s looking like I may have to go that route. Still, I thought I’d ask before doing so.

1 Like

Sorry, 230v.

We have a solar with battery system, but it will only keep our plugs and lights going when there is no grid power. It won’t power the geyser, oven, or aircon if grid power is out. So keeping something like an Arduino going isn’t an issue fortunately.

We got this recently as the cost of the system worked out about as much as we were paying for Grid power on it’s own. Never thought I’d live to see the day I could afford a solar system like this, but thanks to the massive increases to the cost grid power over the last 18 years and constant drop of solar… here we are.

It’s looking DIY may be what I have to do.

1 Like

No ethernet and I would need a bigger 30-40A relay, but could work I think. They’ve got some interesting stuff and most if not all is not cloud based.

I’m now searching for Ethernet Relay and I’m starting to find what I’m looking for…

SR-201 Network Relay looks like a decent option and I see some have used with it home assistant. The download in the link below includes everything needed to get started with it as well.

2846-ETH2RELBOARD_4

Couple of just relays at 30/40 amps

1 Like

What is a “geyser”? Its a water heater?

Yes. I forget that it can be confusing, but that’s what it’s called here in South Africa. :smiley:

1 Like

Almost all Sonoff switches can be very easily reflashed to Tasmota or ESPHome. No cloud required… They actually mostly use ESP8266 or ESP32 chips internally, so technically even if you still want to write your own code, they’d still be a possible option.

But I’d say you’d be best to look at Home Assistant, and use that to read the APIs you wanted to use, and then use a Sonoff with ESPHome or Tasmota as the switching device, with HA telling it to turn on or off.