Sub 100 Dollar Server worth anything?

Was browsing the local online second-hand and resellers markets and came across a cheap [ZAR 1,799, ~USD 95,25] Dell PowerEdge R710.

Specs as listed;
_
Processor(s):
2 x Intel Xeon X5650

Motherboard:
Intel 5520 Chipset

Memory:
16GB DDR3 ECC RAM
Supports Up to 288GB (18 DIMM slots)
Supports Up to 1333MT/s

I/O:
4 PCIe 2.0 slots + 1 storage slot: two x8 slots, two x4 slots, one x4 storage slot

Drive bays:
No Drives included, No Caddies provided.

Power supplies:
2 x Hot-plug 870W

RAID controller:
PERC H700

Remote management:
iDRAC 6

System management:
Dell OpenManage
Microsoft System Center Essential 2010 v2

Condition:
Pre-owned device with minor scratches and scuffs. Device has undergone extensive testing and is 100% functional.
_

Curious if this is at all worth picking up, I don’t have any specific use for it in mind just something to tinker about with really, but feel free to leave suggestions on what you would do with this, if anything.

Not really, especially if you don’t have a specific use case in mind. Those R*** series Dell servers are massive power hogs and the drive cages aren’t cheap.

1 Like

Not to mention that the IDRAC software costs a pretty penny too, if they’re willing to sell it to you at all: after all, you didn’t purchase from them, so in their eyes you’re not the rightful owner of the hardware :roll_eyes:

You’d be buying a server on a dual CPU made with a 32 nm process from 2010. That machine draws around 200W or more in idle.

If you are planning to use it as a server of any kind running 24/7, invest in something like the Asustor Flashstor 6 bay m.2 SSD NAS for $449 instead. With a maximum power draw of 23W, you would make up the difference in power draw within a year or two. Or if you really want that beefier performance, an Intel Core i3 13100 build or an AMD Ryzen 9 7900 build will run circles around that while still only drawing 50W of power or so.

1 Like