Struggling with my 2600 non x

I am new to the forum but hope i put this thread right :

I am rocking the r5 2600 on a Asus b350 Prime Plus ( was a bad choice imo but at the time didn’t out too much thought into it)
I was quite disappointed with the clocks i got out of it, so far its running stable at 4 GHZ all core ( in HWMonitor its mostly 3970 sometimes dips to 3880) but at voltage offset of +0.2825 which (also according to HWM and CPUZ) puts it at 1.41 V most of the time, sometimes more sometimes less. I know this is alot of voltage and Temps are high for Ryzen i think with 60-64 C depending on Workload and GPU output.
Is 4.0 Ghz an expectable Clock for the 2600 or is that utopic to beginn with ? Is that Voltage really too high or if temps stay that way managable?
I noticed strong fluctiation in Cinebench R15 and R 20 Scores , in R15 going from 1330 down to 1180 without changing settings or anything . that seems odd and i remember most of that plus unstability happened after the newest MB Bios update. It brought Precisin Boost Overdrive to b350 ( which i didn’t know was a thing ) it doesn’t seem to do a thing.

So am i just being an idiot trying to get 4.0 or should that be more doable?
So by now i am at 4.0 all core, Vcore offset at +0.2825 or +0.02825 whichever brings me to 1.41 Volt :smiley: at 60 C , my CR15 score is ranging from 1180 to 1330 depending on the day my system has .

Thanks for the help guys

1 Like

Hey, welcome to the forum. Fresh meat is always welcome in the grinder.

Now, Overclock depends on both the chip (so called silicon lottery) and the motherboard itself, and your motherboard is atrocious. I despise Asus for doing this. They have the super high end and the rest of their lineup is either meh or complete garbage. Anyways, if you have bad chip in top of that board, yeah, you are kinda screwed getting over 4GHz.
Also keep in mind most people can’t really go above 4,1GHz and 4,2 is super rare with exotic cooling on high end boards and what not, so you are kinda average here with 4.0…
About the R15 fluctuations - I say that’s normal. Maybe not to the 200points difference, but then again you have a lot of stuff going on in the background, and if you have a few particularly nasty tasks going on in a hot weather and the VRM says “I don’t feel like keeping stable voltages” and a billion other things - yeah, I say it’s normal to have some fluctuations in the score.
I don’t know what case do you have and how good of an airflow you have in there, but if you can, try adding extra fan to the VRM just to cool that. No need for high speed, just some airflow to move away the warm air around it…

4 Likes

Honestly that doesnt sound to bad since b350 and none x part. What were you trying to get to?

1 Like

thank you for the quick dive in. if that seems like an average chip i quess i will just stick with it, as for the motherboard i know its really not anywhere near good and i should have probably invested a bit more and check the VRM solutions . in near future maybe i get the b450 or when it comes b550 since also the board doesn’t have alot of features.

the build is in an old Define R4 full stacked with fans all controlled by the CPU temps and the exhaust and AIO suck the air over it so i thought that would be sufficient. And its not like it feels sluggish or anything just somehow expected at least 4.1. I also don’t have the feelings that the fluctuation is the same in games , they are stable. So either when i upgrade to 32 GB i consider faster RAM (if even supported) to get performance a bit up or upgrade the MB at a certain point.
But thank you for the quick help, the community here seems so welcoming and nice.

@mutation666 i think coming from a 3570k at 4.5 on autovoltage the 4.0 felt so bad even though it has more than double the performance (in R15)

1 Like

Placebo effect, I would guess the IPC is a lot better so even though lower clocks should be faster still

2 Likes

That is really not great when it comes to airflow.
Unless you have replaced all the fans with actually decent fans… Yeah, the fractals are quiet as death, but damn, they can’t move air to save their lives. Just open the door and the CPU will drop 5C in a stress test…

Remember, FX9590 did 5GHz out of the box…The quad core Ryzen 3 1200 is wiping the floor with the 9590, and the ryzen 3 1200 runs at 3,1 iirc…

1 Like

I replaced the two front fans with noctuas 140mm also the exhaust and a bottom fan pushing air on the GPU , the i removed the top “pillows” that close the top exhaust and putted the AIO there with noctuas new 120s . I have the feeling the airflow is fine"ish" . Of course the VEGA 64 dumps a TON of heat in the case, still have to do the VRM Pad fix. I removed all the drive bays so its fairly unrestricted.

Of course with the new architecture and everything an overclock for comparison is probably not even needed, the cores and threads alone destroy the 3570k , if i remember thats 5-6 years old. Mostly do it for the fun and the tinkering and sadly since theres no XFR or real PBO its the only way to go. In the end i got 400 mhz on the boost clock of the 2600 which is not bad i think.
I think also with intels clock wars you just expect to need 4.5-5 GHZ of course thats not comparable .

@mutation666 yes even in the stock 3,6 boost its far ahead and i think my i5 was already a really lucky CPU.

Do you guys know what PBO does on b350? they added the function with the new BIOS but it doesn’t seem to do anything