Strictly Business - New Monitor Suggestions 4K

Hey all, I’m looking for the best monitor to fit my needs. Zero Gaming for this setup, none, zilch, nadda….

I work in managed service operations in enterprise networking. At any given time I can have multiple RDP, citrix desktops, ssh sessions open at one time. Right now I have a 3 monitor setup 1080p and it is not working the best. I tried leveraging windows workspaces(sadly stuck on a corp windows image) but that is not ideal as I need to move / and traverse multiple workspaces, and it ends up being a mess. Honestly I could make my set up work betting if I was more organized but that is unlikely an option as I am a rolling “S” show most of the time.

My needs: I would like to have a large single workspace were I can section off a multiple “virtual monitor” Citrix session (currently when I run citrix across 2 monitorings the software on input is messed up), then have local sessions of ssh / web / communication apps open as well.

Budget: around $600 USD

The biggest roadblock that I have on 1080p is the scaling is too large to efficiently carve out workspace for my needs. I have never had a monitor over 1080p so I don’t truly know how much space I will gain but from my limited research it looks to be substantial. I would also possibly be open to an ultrawide solution but I have to somewhat keep things in my budget.

I looked at THIS link and I would be open to going with a TV, however how close I am I do have some concerns with ergonomics. Could someone using this solution chime in and let me know if it is an issue?

Thanks

I use a 43" LG 4k television in my office. Paid $200 USD for it at the time, should have bought two.

Only specs I worried about was true 60hz at 2160p and something about the pixels that allows small text to be rendered clearly (forget the technical term.) Both boxes checked, perfect!

I’m able to get by with 175% scaling, windows wanted 300%. My eyes aren’t as sharp as when I was young. The TV can do better but my eyes can’t.

Since this is purely for work, I would suggesting getting 4 27" 1440p monitors with VESA mounts so they can be mounted in 2 over 2 configuration. You don’t need high refresh rates, HDR, freesync, or any of the other specs gamers pay for so you might be able to find some panels for less than $200 each.

A single large 4k panel, 43 to 55 inch, might work if you have apps that you would like to span across multiple normal monitors. However, you’ll be stuck with one large screen so it will be limited to that physical layout. Also, you’ll need to keep the scaling to 100% in Windows in order to get the maximum real estate.

If you get a large panel, you can use software like Display Fusion to create profiles to make custom splits in the panel. I use it with my super ultra wide. Dell and some other manufacturers have similar in-house software for their large monitors. So if you want one large panel you’ll probably have to go with a Korean brand or a low end TV.

Personally, I use 2 monitors. A 34" 3440x1440 ultra wide above a 49" 5120x1440 super ultra wide, both from Samsung. However, this setup would be over the budget you specified. I’ve had the 34" for a couple years but I just got the 49" this summer. You might be able to find a 2 34" Korean ultra wide monitors for a decent price.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ll check out the Display Fusion software, sounds like similar to the screen splitting function in citrix. 4 27" sounds like it could be an option but my concern would be the height. I do have a double stack with my 23" now and the top monitor does put a little strain on my neck. However with this new solution I will be getting a larger desk which will put me farther back. Looks like I have some more research a head of me. Thanks!