"Stream" (mirror) iGPU display over a USB-to-HDMI adapter?

Does anyone know any way for to mirror/“stream” iGPU display over a USB-to-HDMI adapter? For various reasons my laptop can’t use the dedicated Nvidia card and all HDMI and USB-C ports are wired to dGPU. iGPU can only access USB 3.0 ports.

I’ve been using DisplayLink until it became necessary to switch to Hyprland, which after 3 hard days of debugging may lead some to conclusion that it just isn’t possible to use DisplayLink on wlroots yet. An alternative one might consider would be mirroring in “some way” the main iGPU display over USB (or network).

It sounds possible - capture the screen - send it over the USB to the display. However, I couldn’t find any solution so far. I would greatly appreciate any ideas.

you speak about an application that change the theme … there is no relation to the actual output. get a usb capture card if you need to capture or just simply install the driver for the laptop and all will run.

Sorry, clarification: it became necessary to switch to Hyprland or any wlroots-based compositor due to a bug in KWin’s implementation of Wayland that prevents prime offloading to some applications. I’ve tested it on Wayland (without a displaylink running) and prime worked fine.

The goal isn’t to record the screen, but to “cast” it onto an external screen. Miracast sadly won’t work due to latency and I can’t seem to get displaylink to work on any wlroots WM (tried tinywl, sway, hyprland…)

HDMI over USB exists only on paper. All such adapters work by converting HDMI to DisplayPort first. To avoid needles conversions keep it DisplayPort all the way and convert to HDMI at the last possible moment.

Thanks, that makes sense, but I may need a bit more general help like, what devices can do that on linux or if there is any device with the same level of support as the displaylink adapters.