Strange WOL issues

So I have been having this annoying WOL issue as of late and trying to get some more opinions.

WOL will only work 1 time after setting it up. After either a system Shutdown (not Fast Start) or WOL is used it will not WOL again until it’s disabled and re-enabled in windows settings…

Also of note is that the system does stay connected when WOL stops working, and I can correlate me trying to WOL and the indicator LED blinking.

I have checked for UEFI updates, NIC driver updates, all settings, power saving settings, and so on. All seems to be in order and I suspect some kind of bug with Window??? I find it very odd that it will work right after setting it up (even when the system is asleep for DAYS) but after that nothing…

intel management system glitch? maybe ME needed updated? NIC sleep states? wierd networking issues? firewall issues? allowing the WOL packet out once during setup and back in for a short time and then blocking? Satan? Necrotechmicon?

That’s just it, it’s a desktop that’s AMD based so no Intel management system, no ME, already checked the NIS power and sleeps states, not a network issue other systems WOL fine, not a firewall issue, it’s not a reply issue…

That’s why I’m here asking about this I’ve done everything O can think of… also of note is that this issues does not happen when booting Linux on the machine. So it has to be OS or such then right?

whats the AMD “Me” called, they have some other thing. also by chance is it never AMD with an AEGESA update?

i’m sure it’s some phooked up super weird issue i could never guess, i’m still trying to solve, why i can’t save files to SMB share but, only the local hard drive with any linux past 18.04 LTS

so i’m just guessing simple stuff that probably have so of no REAL help. by chance in windows have you checked the advanced sleep state settings that let you adjust the CPU fan and USB power states? it sometimes has NIC power states. also have you used the DELL NIC drivers, the build included windows NIC driver or the driver form the NIC chipset mfq like broadcom or whatever? maybe they have a bug in the NIC driver? that could explain why in windows but, not linux. what chipset does the NIC use?

I think I figured it out and its very very stupid… I use Hyper-V for VMs on the system, and use a Vswitch so that the VMs have external network access, This seems to also put the host OS on this “Switch” and does not WOL from the IP of the Host OS.

So if the host OS IP is say 192.168.1.78 and you try to WOL using that IP it will not work except the first time you setup WOL…

But if you use the broadcast IP 255.255.255.255 it wakes every time… So my theory is the NIC is not grabbing the host OS IP when it goes to sleep and as the system is asleep the Vswitch is obviously not available.