Strange Ryzen 1700X P-State behaviour (maybe?)

Hi there, so I recently did a fresh windows install as I got one of those Phison 1TB E12 M.2 NVME SSD’s (it’s great btw), I didn’t notice this happening on my old install, but maybe it did, I’m not sure. My Ryzen 1700X is currently at 3.8Ghz at 1.275v. It can go higher, up to 4Ghz, but I don’t think it’s worth it with the added heat and voltage. I don’t think the extra 200Mhz will make any real world difference. Educate me if I’m wrong.

The frequency is bouncing all over the place. I’m not sure why, and it’s causing higher than expected idle temps. I was using a Noctua NH-U9S, but upgraded to a U14S for improved cooling and hopefully that third gen 5Ghz. Under load, I’ve seen a 15C decrease in temps doing an AIDA64 stress test (55-56C max, whereas before it was 70C+), but idle temps are still roughly the same, around 35 - 40C when I expected them to be around 28-32C, so I took a look.

I took some videos showing the clock bouncing around, even when doing nothing. Is this normal Ryzen behaviour? I’m a first time OCér. Also, why isn’t it downclocking lower than 2.2Ghz? The lowest P-State is 400Mhz.

If I use the power saver mode, idling it stays at 2.2Ghz. Using High Performance, it stays at 3.8Ghz. Using Balanced, it bounces around making no sense. In the videos. you can see this behavior.

If I’m worrying about nothing, let me know. My only previous experience with modern CPUs is with an Intel i5 2320 and i7 3770, and neither of those displayed this behaviour.

Here are pics of my P-State settings. I only edited P-State 0, then rest are their defaults. It’s not going into P-State 3 which is at 400Mhz.

I don’t use Windows for more than a few minutes every couple of months, so I may be wrong. On my 1700 default stock behavior using AMD’s own power plan the CPU changes frequencies very rapidly and I think most software has trouble keeping up with the switching. Once overclocked only AMD’s power plan allows any proper frequency switching. Even using P-state overclocking will not allow the cores to go lover than 2000Mhz or so on any other power plan.
On Linux, both multiplier and Pstate overclocking have no negative effect on the behavior of the CPU power plan used (ondemand in my case which is sort of like balanced in Windows), so the CPU clocks up and down properly. The lowest I have seen it go is around 1300MHz while idling on the OS, on both Windows and Linux.