StoreMI not longer available or supported by AMD

Hi everyone,
I don’t know if you knew. But I just realized that StoreMI is not supported anymore by AMD. see the links below

https://www.amd.com/en/technologies/store-mi

https://www.amd.com/system/files/documents/storemi-product-change-advisory.pdf

Anyone knows what the new technology is going to be? Anyone is getting affected by this? Also have you use Enmotus FuzeDrive??

what you guys think?

1 Like

I imagine AMD is working on something new to replace this, so that Intel isn’t sitting comfortable with Intel Optane.

At the same time, they could have done hardware survey’s to see how much people were using the tech, to see if they should still continue using or supporting it going forward. If not enough were using it, I could see why they’d drop it.

I was thinking about using it myself, but ended up going a different route. I was looking at a 1TB SSD + 3TB HDD config, I also looked at PLX/Bifurcation cards to RAID0 4x 512GB or larger M.2’s, but ultimately I ended up getting two different Enterprise Fusion PCIe SSD’s. I picked up a Fusion ioScale 3.2TB (used with 65% life left) and SanDisk Fusion 6.4TB (brand new) drives, and both work great. Neither are upgradable, but both are such large storage capacity, I won’t need to upgrade from them for some time.

AMD has to see what’s going to net them customers, a profit, etc. Plus compatibility, longevity, etc. I’m sure after weighing the pro’s and con’s, they came up with a better idea, or saw that there wasn’t a big enough need for it.

Uptake on StoreMI has been poor to non-existent to say the least.
Fully expect it to go away entirely.

Those that really need this tech either have exotic *nix based configurations or use independent more capable platform agnostic software.

1 Like

AMD has replaced the original version 1 with a newer version 2 that has a better GUI. But it can not be installed with the original version installed - ie it will not upgrade to the new version.

What is the best way to remove the software so the HDD boot drive can be imaged and replaced with a nVME boot drive?

And as related question – What is the best series drive to pair with the upcoming Fuze Drive from Enmotus for a data/application drive?

Store-Mi is FuseDrive:

https://www.enmotus.com/amd

quoted from your link

we recommend you upgrade your StoreMI ver. 1.x software to the fully compatible FuzeDrive software.

This seems to imply they are not the same, I would agree it is probably very similar tech though.

The differences are superficial, at their core they are nearly identical.

2 Likes

That.

SSD caching is almost always better on paper than in reality. Because outside of OS boot, single user machines don’t do a lot of highly cache-able workloads.

See: Fusion Drives, intel’s caching (forget the name of it at the moment) and storeMI.

my 2c:

SSDs are getting cheap enough that even low end users can get 1/2 terabyte for a small percentage of system BOM cost.

Unless you’re building a NAS, hard drives basically aren’t worth it any more.

And if you ARE building a NAS… unless you have 10 gig (plus) networking (which is still expensive, and SSD caching is a cost cutting measure), rust will keep up with your LAN for bulk storage, SOOoooo… limited usefulness.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.