Storage Spaces: Windows Server 2019 vs Windows 10

Hey there. I’m new here, so sorry for starting out with a question, but I’m at a loss:

TLDR: Why is Windows10 slower at using Storage Spaces then Windows Server 2019? And is there a way to get the same performance in Windows10?

The situation:

I’m a photographer/videographer. I have an UnRaid Nas for my ‘cold storage’ and it works fine. For my long-term running projects I’m looking for a big, yet speedy storage solution inside my workstation. I have been testing with a 2-way mirror setup. I’m using 4 older Seagate drives for testing purposes. They are CMR Barracuda disks that give me about 80-90 MB/s throughput each, when writing a 14GB testfolder I made from a typical projectfolder for my use-case (basically just 83MB raw photo’s and some 200MB videos).

So here’s the weird part:

• If I create a storagepool and 4-disk 2-column mirror in Windows 10, my throughput is about 150-160 MB/s (ignoring the fast cached starting speed)…
  • However, If create a storagepool and 4-disk 2-column mirror vdisk in Windows Server 2019, in a Hyper-V on that same Windows 10 machine, my throughput is about 250-260 MB/s…
  • Then, when I restart and let Windows 10 handle that same pool and vdisk again, I’m back to 150-160 MB/s…

Some notes:

• I tested in NTFS and ReFS, there’s no difference in speed.
  • Striping (simple disk) gave me the same differences (but with bigger numbers obviously)

So my questions:

• What’s making the difference? Does WS2019 simply have the better SS-software?
  • If so, why does W10 want me to upgrade the pool to a ‘better’ version?
  • Or does WS2019 have other default settings for disk-handeling?
  • Is there a way to get the WS2019 performance natively in W10?

Sorry for the long read, I’d be very happy with any insight people might have. And my apologies upfront for any textual confusion: English is not my native language.

Cheers!