Storage on / between VMs

Hi,
Bit of a noob on Proxmox / VMs… I’ve been following a few tutorials and am trying to work out the best way to organise the storage between VMs on a server…
It’s a Proxmox install across 2x 1TB NVME drives
I have a TrueNAS Scale VM which is intended to be for mass storage, backups, etc.
I have a Windows Server 2022 VM which will be mainly for Solidworks PDM, but also Active Directory and maybe a few other bits and bobs.
There will likely be other VMs for plex, maybe a couple of other things(?)
The VMs have their install on the Proxmox drives, and I am wondering how best to divide up / pass through the other storage.

Currently I have 4x 2TB NVME that I have tried creating as a ZFS in Proxmox and passing through to TrueNAS - it registered, but TrueNAS couldn’t get drive information, so I have redone by passing through as PCI Devices, and they register and can be Pooled just fine.

My current Windows server has 2x 2TB HDDs for the storage drives, so I only need about that on this new server.

I have 4x 2TB NVME due soon, and intend to throw in a few large SATA drives for bulk storage.

For TrueNAS, do I just continue to pass through the drives as a PCI Device and handle within the VM?

For Windows Server, do I do the same using Storage Spaces… or create a ZFS in Proxmox. . . or create something in TrueNAS and then somehow pass that over…?

Or is it all wrong and there’s a more elegant way for it all? :wink: