Steam Xbox Controller Support on Older Games

Why do some old games on Steam have messed up button mapping, and the only way to fix it is to disable "HID-compliant game controller"? It fixes one or two games on my library but disables Xbox controller for the rest of my games on Steam/Origin.

Is there a more elegant way to fix this without compromising the rest of my games? Some have say this is because old games (Dark Souls 1, Psychonauts) can't prioritize which interface device as an input. Anyone?

Edit:

I did some digging, and I think it may have to do with Windows 10 because I never had this issue with Windows 8. Bascially, there's two game pad drivers, the ones that come default with Windows OS called "HID-compliant game controller", and the Xbox 360 controller. Somehow some games fail to prioritize the Xbox controller first so disabling "HID-compliant game controller" does the trick, however, some games such as the ones on Origin client needs "HID-compliant game controller" ON to recognize the Xbox 360 controller.

So the problem is some games prioritize "HID-compliant game controller" but disabling it makes other games fail to recognize Xbox controller because both "HID-compliant game controller" and Xbox 360 driver is lumped into one device. This is odd because I never had to juggle between these two drivers for Windows 8. Games that I don't remember having to disable "HID-compliant game controller" for Windows 8 are: Bioshock Infinite, Dark Souls 1, Psychonauts (these are the lists so far).

Could this be because Xbox controller drivers were integrated into the OS for Windows 10?