Steam Survey 2017

This looks like rebellion against Windows 10. I never seen such a large percentage change in one month. Although this may reverse later on.
steam

1 Like

I liked both comments. The resurrection graphic is hilarious, after all.

That said, I think this is a good running thread about Steam stats as a general topic. There are some real oddities that pop up, such as AMD is still losing ground to Intel in the CPU count, which is bizarre considering how Ryzen has pulled AMD into the black.

2 Likes

well just remember not every PC runs steam so its only a small margin or users and this shows for GPU’s as well with the 480/580 not going up when its been almost impossible to find at a good price for months

Yes I didn’t understand that either. It must be the Intel/nVidia mindshare that AdoredTV was talking about. People buying inferior CPUs

because muh 5FPS at 1080p.

3 Likes

But one would expect that much of the enthusiast market does, and this has been where Ryzen has really been selling like crazy.

Well we all know where those were going, and the price hikes haven’t helped gamers get into them, being notoriously stingy as they are (plus it’s hard to ask someone to pay 20%+ for a similar performing product).

This worries me just as a general consumer. I remember right around when Vega FE was released and I saw scores of comments on r/AMD from people lamenting that it wasn’t more competitive and driving down Nvidia’s pricing for them. :roll_eyes:

5 Likes

the mindshare pisses me off so much a while ago I was talking to someone on my mates teamspeak and they were saying when they get paid they are going to buy a I7 7700K and I was asking why and tried to get them to pick the R7 1700 but they were like no AMD runs hot and is shit

4 Likes

Was he going to delid it too? :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

prob not but he thought intel was much better and we are getting off topic :stuck_out_tongue: no more ranting now

The numbers from this month are likely way off… you can see in the survey data that the number of Chinese users has increased significantly as well, and we know PUBG is banning lots of accounts… there are theories that it’s Chinese users creating accounts for PUBG, getting banned, and creating more accounts.

2 Likes

I own a MacBook running a Core2Duo with a Nvidia 320m and a desktop PC with a 1700X and a r9 390. Interestingly enough, I was only asked for steam surveys on my notebook and I can’t even remember participating on my desktop PC.
While I doubt that this happens on purpose, it could skewer the results, because Intel’s market share regarding notebooks is even stronger than on desktop. Furthermore, I also assume that it is rather common to own multiple devices.

1 Like

It’s a trigger that’s set on your account for the next time you log into Steam. I’ve encountered this since I used to dual boot a lot. When I needed to reboot, I would close Steam and open it again just in case there was a survey waiting. Then my results would always show Linux. But once you’ve filled out the survey, the trigger is removed, and you’re not asked again until the next time the survey goes out.

2 Likes

The influx of steam users from China is making the numbers worthless.

1 Like

This.

PUBG being on Steam and so popular basically forced the cafes that host the computers for chinese players to game on to adopt Steam (all the other major games use a different client in China).

These sudden hardware survey changes are basically accounting for all those machines.

1 Like

Steam Survey isn’t very accurate neither.

Not really actually.

Before the influx, Win10 was leading with 65% and the GTX 980 was on place 10 or 15.

Now it is… like a time travel back to mid 2016.

Anecdotal, I know, but I never met a Chinese person that knew what Steam even was. Maybe it was just the circle of friends I was around when I lived in Beijing and Hangzhou. Also, PC cafe’s were never a thing there. If they had PC cafe’s they didn’t blatantly advertise them like they do in Seoul. Who knows.

EDIT: Now that I think about it. A lot of people used I knew in Seoul used Steam. Used to play TF2 in a PC cafe with a dev of Sudden Attack. Tubular, dude.

Your average chinese citizen is lot poorer than american or european. So they gotta use what they have.

Did you have to bring back a 2 month old thread for that

1 Like

Yes, reviving old thread on this forum is my hobby. In the meantime it looks like valve is deleting some of the banned accounts since OSX and Linux are both up.

1 Like