Steam/Proton TSW Legends error help please [FIXED]

Can someone please explain (in detail) exactly what I have to do do install the three missing components that are causing the TSW launcher to crash on startup. The issue has a fix but I’m not sure how to implement it.

The fix is explained here - https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/1511

I need step by step instructions for how to add those 3 components.

Running Ubuntu 18.04
Have installed latest nvidia drivers
Have installed Steam with Beta client, and Proton 3.7.8 beta

I have not installed WINE or winetricks - aside from what is auto installed by the steam install.

If any info required is missing let me know and ill add whatever is needed

1 Like

I’m new to Linux but here’s how you do this:

1. Open terminal and copy these commands, it will install wine, you can find them on winehq.org (copy each line and press enter, after first one you’ll need to enter your password, sometimes you’ll need to press y and enter):
    sudo dpkg --add-architecture i386
    wget -nc https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/Release.key
    sudo apt-key add Release.key
    sudo apt-add-repository https://dl.winehq.org/wine-builds/ubuntu/
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install --install-recommends winehq-staging

2. Go to where your Steam Library is, default /home/{your user name}/.steam/steam/steamapps

3. You’ll see some files named appmanifest_and then some numbers, open them one by one until you’ll fine the one with your game name in it and remember that number.

4.From steamapps folder go to compatdata folder and then to a folder with a number that I told you to remember and then pfx folder.

1. Now open up a terminal and write:
    WINEPREFIX=
    don’t press enter, next on the open folder (pfx) blank white space press right mouse button and properties, then you’ll see line “Parent Folder” copy whats in it (by clicking on it 3 times and then ctrl+c) to the terminal.
    And at the end write winecfg
    Whole line should look something like this (only with your directory path):
    WINEPREFIX=/home/socialjusticeworriorsrectum83/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/63380/pfx winecfg
    Press enter

2. A window will pop up that says “Wine configuration” at the top. Chose “Libraries” tab. And at the "New override for library:’ field select file “d3dcompiler_43” then press “Add”, and same for files “d3dx9_43” and “d3dx11_43”.

3. Press OK or Apply. And you’re done.

P.S. Sorry I can’t test it, because I don’t have nvidia gpu and the game, but that’s how you do what that github post says. And after each steam update you might have to readd those files, because I think steam reverifies the proton prefix. But as I said, I’m new to linux so I might be wrong.

1 Like

Thanks so much for this!

I wont have a chance to test for a couple of days, but as soon as I do I will replay again to this thread with how it went.

OK so I now have it running. I ran the commands @Sato put above, and that didnt fix it. After a bit more digging I found this on another forum and it seems to be working (so far)

To make it run, run in the command line:
WINEPREFIX=/home/[Your Username]/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/215280/pfx winetricks d3dx9_43
WINEPREFIX=/home/[Your Username]/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/215280/pfx winetricks vcrun2015
WINEPREFIX=/home/[Your Username]/.steam/steam/steamapps/compatdata/215280/pfx winetricks -q d3dcompiler_43
The numbered folder might be different for each install, so yours might be different. I found the correct folder by checking the runprocess_log.txt file located in the “/drive_c/user/steamuser/My Documents/” folder under the pfx folder. Performance is slightly lower than in Windows, and has a few graphical glitches with the shaders, but nothing game breaking so far (have played through the tutorial, and arrived in Kingsmouth).

I’m assuming that for whatever reason the VC2015 isnt being installed under Proton/Steam and using winetricks to install it has worked.

Thanks @Sato for your help - It was VERY much appreciated!

I have the similar issue with the execution and upon search i confused it with steam won’t open error but when i dig more into it found this winetrick method which is working fine now thanks mate…