[Steam Play] Path of Exile on Linux

Heya dunno if I should just create a game thread here or if we have a game subsection under linux?
Would be nice if we have one for games on linux and getting them to work etc. as this can ammount to quite a few with time :smile:
Iā€™ve read the Proton thread but thought Iā€™d rather do a lengthy post on its own rather than a reply thatā€™ll get buried.

Alright here we go, I have tested Steam Play with Proton 3.7.8 and got Path of Exile to run decent at 30-60 fps with mild stuttering when loading textures etc.
Itā€™s playable for me so much so that I could play with friends for about 20 hours so far and weā€™re having great fun. But I have a few crashes between zoning now and then, but Iā€™ll get to that later in this post.

Here is my hardware setup:
i5-4690K
MSI Z97S PLUS
8GB DDR3 RAM
GeForce GTX 1070

OS/Software/Drivers:
Ubuntu 18.04
Proton 3.16-1 Beta
Nvidia Driver Version: 390.87

PoE Config:

This is the file you wanna make changes to:
production_Config.ini

Located under:
/home/USERNAME/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/238960/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/My Documents/My Games/Path of Exile/

The app number 238960 can be found at the end of the game storepage URL:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/238960/

My config:

[DISPLAY]
adapter_name=NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070
borderless_windowed_fullscreen=false
directx_version=9
dx11_antialias_mode=0
dx9_antialias_mode=1
dynamic_resolution_fps=30
fullscreen=false
global_illumination_detail=0
light_quality=1
max_PS_shader_model=ps_3_0
max_VS_shader_model=vs_3_0
maximize_window=false
post_processing=false
resolution_height=1363
resolution_width=2552
screen_shake=true
screenspace_effects=1
screenspace_effects_resolution=0
shadow_type=hardware_7_samples
texture_filtering=4
texture_quality=1
use_dynamic_resolution=true
vsync=true
water_detail=1
[GENERAL]
enable_profanity_filter=true
engine_multithreading_mode=disabled

So you wanna force it to run Dx9 or Dx9E and it should run, it can be choppy with loading in textures and particles so I set texture quality down and turned off post-processing. I figured I could run with AA and Vsync without any problems because I hate screen-tearing. I run window mode because fullscreen on KDE is no fun, I have the the resources to expend as I only watch youtube on the side when gaming.

Only very few crashes - I can play an hour and have maybe 1-2 crashes, which only occur in loading screens or after having zoned into a town with many players.

Note: my friends are playing on Windows and they have almost just as many crashes due to getting DCā€™ed, game crashing somehow, BSODā€™s and what not lmao :joy: This game is still a trainwreck but itā€™s so much fun!

Iā€™ll post crash messages once I got all the screenshots here:

Two biggest error messages are ā€œfailed to create threadā€ and ā€œUnable to create rtt backing textureā€.

If any1 can identify any of these error messages and can tell me where or how to approach them it would be very helpful. IDK if I should use Winetricks or something or if Proton already uses it?