Steam Client Webhelper Memory Usage

So I notice that this runs when the Steam Client is running and exits when you exit the Steam Client.

On my Windows 10 Pro machine it is using minimal amounts of RAM.

However on my Windows 11 Pro gaming rig it will sometimes be using nearly 5GB of RAM until I exit the Steam Client.

I’ve noticed a few threads on this issue on Reddit and even the Steam Forums but nobody has mentioned this large amount of usage, normally peeps are complaining about 400 ~ 500 MB of usage.

I tried a few things to see if it would help like using the Wise Memory tool to free up ram, this made it go down to less than about 20 MB but I noticed one of the threads was slowly creeping up the usage almost like a memory leak or it probably is.

Currently running with only web browsers open, one of them is logged into Steam but no webhelper process running.

Any ideas on this one ?

I dont think this is a Windows only issue. I seem to have this issue on Linux as well and I’d wager its the underlying chrome/chromium browser that steam uses to render its pages.

My solution is to… set steam to open on the library window and just use a separate web browser to look around and purchase stuff on steam. Firefox does not seem to misbehave as much as chrome.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback, I’ve seen that it completely goes away once I close the Steam Client.

I did however notice a better memory footprint with the latest Steam Client update so maybe Valve is aware of this issue ?

1 Like