Steam cache

Hi.

I’m about to make a steam caching server but i have question before i begin.

Atm i only have about 2TB space free for it, will get more soon, so i’m wondering if the server will automatically delete old date to make room for new when it runs out of space.

If not then i guess i have to wait a little bit for my extra storage to show up.

Thank you in advance for any answer.

Assuming you’ll be using lancache, under the hood it’s just DNS hijacking+ nginx for caching it’s…

then nginx config is built by shell scripts looking at your config and replacing bits and pieces within nginx:

Module ngx_http_proxy_module.

It also says:

The special “cache manager” process monitors the maximum cache size set by the max_size parameter, and the minimum amount of free space set by the min_free (1.19.1) parameter on the file system with cache. When the size is exceeded or there is not enough free space, it removes the least recently used data.

aka. LRU cache.

Should help you understand, but basically whatever is the thing accessed longest time ago, will be the first thing to be kicked out of the cache when space gets tight.

So, basically it’s not the games you like the most that’ll be most likely to be cached, it’s those that update the most, specifically the updates… so you can download them once for multiple machines to benefit from

1 Like

Many thanks.

Worth considering:

The oldest thing in the cache is likely the thing you installed ages ago and then deleted… so likely the thing you’re most likely to want to get back.

Unless you’ve got several users on the same LAN installing the same games, steam caching is likely a waste of time.