Static/loud noise coming from speaker

KVM Model:

1.4 Displayport KVM Switch (Single Monitor - Two Computer)

USB Interface (5-gigabit or 10-gigbit):

5-gigabit

Problem:

There is static noise coming from my speakers after connecting the audio cables. The noise would worsen when I move my mouse around in my second computer.

Other Notes:

I’m using 3.5 mm audio cables and USB-A to USB-B 2.0 cables (I have spares laying around) even though the KVM supports 3.0 version, perhaps that might be the issue. My speaker is Bose Companion 2 Series III. I do use 2 club3d DisplayPort 1.4 cables and another non-club3d DisplayPort 1.4 cable.

I would bet a ground loop isolator would fix your issues:

1 Like

How? The physical cable is different.

Oh, that’s neat! I’m guessing this would be used for the console port, right? My speaker’s audio cable would be plugged into the ground loop, which then be plugged into the console audio port. Let me know if that’s the right order.

Oh wow I didn’t realize the connector would be different (thought it was just the color) but it fits right in. I’m typing and moving my mouse using the KVM right now :sweat_smile:.

The top part, where the three holes are, is exposed.

Huh! Cool. Tbh I had no idea, I’d never seen someone try it haha

Right I believe we’re on the same page. Basically, just connect the KVM audio OUT → 3.5mm cable → female ground isolator → plug into your speaker’s 3.5mm port

1 Like

I’ve never actually installed one, I just know they work, so you might try flipping it around if something isn’t working correctly. It appears that the female end is input, and the male end is output to speakers.

No worries, I will play around with the order. I will also purchase USB-A to USB-B 3.0 cables to see if that resolves the issue somehow. Thank you very much for your assistance!

1 Like

Np :slight_smile: glad I could help. Let us know if it doesn’t

Hello Amber, I got the ground isolators and have been testing it out for the past days. It works like you said though I needed two ground isolators, each connecting to the PC ports on the KVM. This is the order I’m using:

• KVM (PC 1 AUX port) < Ground Isolators < AUX cable < PC 1

• KVM (PC 2 AUX port) < Ground Isolators < AUX cable < PC 2

Here’s my take away in case you might be helping someone out with the same issue. My advice is to identify which connection (out of the three aux ports, pc 1, pc 2, or console) is causing the noise by plugging each aux cables in and out. This should narrow down which port is causing the noise. In my case, both pc 1 and 2 caused static noise so two ground isolators were needed for those ports. Once installed, everything works as expected.

Let me know if you need me to clarify anything. Once again, thank you for your help!

2 Likes

Interesting. I might try these myself in my virtual audio sink. I’m getting some static that I managed to minimize using pulseeffects noise reducer but there’s still a faint hiss on really quiet audio