'State of Surveillance' with Edward Snowden

did you read my reason? Causing a big waste of time for the government is doing a disservice to our nation and may not actually be traitor tier, but it is certainly not partiotic

Well, I would rather be patriotic and honest than "partriotic" and dumb as a door knob.
:P

1 Like

Posted this before, but the issues, views and opinions are still topical.

2 Likes

A follow up after these years would be interesting.

1 Like

Shane Smith, what good Vice has left in it.

1 Like

@logan and @wendell should guest Hyppönen and ask for updates, he's quite down-to-earth and likes to contribute to pragmatic even niche communities

3 Likes

That would be awesome.

Get him to be a guest on The Tek.

If only such a thing existed... Trillion dollar idea?

do you happen to have an atricle supporting this? just curious

either you are a troll or you are on the wrong channel if you think he is a traitor

3 Likes

That's not possible....for that to happen it would need a VERY large capacitor, Surface mount caps on phones are no where near large enough for that to be the case. Maybe a couple of mins to an hour but NOT days especially with the amperage that a GPS would pull .....Aside from that holding the power button down for about 30secs (may not be the case on all phones) with battery removed should drain all the residual juice.

This used to be the case with older phones and electronics in general but with todays technology batteries can provide a lot more amps and capacity than in the past, thus eliminating the need for extremely large capacitors.

Technology does advance at a fast past but the same basic rules still apply today, a capacitor stores energy, and something the size of 3 pen heads CAN NOT store that much energy.

2 Likes

Haven't been able to find the report I read that talked about it, though I had it on hand but i guess not. Finding topics on how it is possible but its speculative, if I find it I'll post.

Ive seen a few too, and from what I can tell it seems to be related to if their is a secondary battery in it....like a CMOS on a motherboard. You would have to get your serious Tin foil hat on and figure out if that battery can be rerouted (or even if the manufacture let it do this) to power the GPS, Mic, etc....that being said a CMOS battery powering a GPS would only last a few days at most, a Mic maybe longer, and the camera no, cameras/camera sensors draw a crap ton of power.

I guess if one was that paranoid, just walk down to your local harbor freight and take a sledge hammer to it....and walk away...lol

I can understand the GPS chips still being powered up when the phone is off, but not when the battery is dead or gone. There is literally nothing in there that would allow it to stay powered if the battery was dead or removed. If the phone is off and the battery is in, then I can see the GPS still being in an on condition and able to store location data every so many minutes in some kind of small internal flash.

That's kinda what I stated, aside from large capacitors or secondary batteries but from what I gather very few phones have 2nd batteries.

All in all if you are that serious about being off the grid, I doubt you are sitting here (or any website) talking about it or if you are you have some serious proxys and firewalls.

I always thought that skynet would rise up and control us (not in the sense depicted in the movie, but thats off topic), but it looks like that we will be our own destruction.

Anyone know of a presidential candidate that would pardon Snowden?

Having worked on phones I can tell you there is no such ability built into them. Unless they have some alien tech shit built into them that I somehow missed there is no where they could store enough power for that.

IIRC Sanders has been in favor of that idea. Then again he has also been against it at some point.

Shillary and Drumpf certainly won't. I wouldn't even be surprised if president Drumpf says "damn the consequences" and has Snowden assassinated.

1 Like