State of HDR on Linux early 2024 (previously late 2020, early 2021, mid 2022, early 2023)

Why has no one mentioned EGL thus far? Shouldn’t it bypass both the user’s wayland compositor or their X11 server/wm

@The_Riddick

where as X11 is a admin root service. Instantly this should tell you a bit about the security issues with X11

Running Xorg with uid that isn’t 0 or starting it as root and then dropping privileges to euid that isn’t 0 has been possible for a long time and doesn’t cost you anything.

Looks like I forgot to post this one here!

In September Rhel was looking to hire a dev to specifically sort out HDR support in linux.

As of last week, we got confirmation that the position had been filled and is now being worked on!

(twitter embeds are weird. Job post went out in September, confirmation came out on December 6)

I wonder if it coincided with the Linus video… Part 3 had that unfair list option of trying to play an HDR video.

Doubtful, the posting proceeds that by a long time, it’s only the person that asked recently that may have accelerated a response. It may be possible that the LTT video is what prompted the person to ask, since the video was released on the 4th

I’d be surprised if they weren’t hired by mid Oct

Update Autumn 2022:

Presentation out of the X.org developer conference, link to presentation here: XDC 2022 - Day 2 - October 5th, 2022 - YouTube

Slides here: https://indico.freedesktop.org/event/2/contributions/56/attachments/64/105/2022%20XDC%20Is%20HDR%20Harder.pdf

Initial reporting via Phoronix AMD Continues Working Toward HDR Display Support For The Linux Desktop - Phoronix

3 Likes

Update January 2023:

WE HAVE HDR IN GAMES!!

Link1

Link 2

Link 3

Hackfests/ShellDisplayNext2023 - GNOME Wiki!)

3 Likes

Now for AMD to get HDMI2.1 working in their drivers… Don’t think you can do HDR on 420 colorspace!!!

I dont care about games. I want software such as jellyfin to have hdr support dammit. My only computer still running windows is my htpc for dedicated youtube and jellyfin. Would be nice to completely de windowsify myself.

2 Likes

If only Gamescope worked with MPV. Then this might actually work for video playback.

But yeah, the code contribution is done by a complete douchebag.

Look into Kodi, does HDR already.

On linux? I would like to get HDR and sync play (jellyfin watch parties).
It is a wip. but i am hoping soon.

IIRC Kodie HDR is windows or android only.

GNU/Linux no such luck.

I never got around to testing it, but I think Linux host with windows VM, the windows VM having a pass through GPU would work.

From there it might be possible to do some sort of looking glass setup.

But the problem continues to be that the desktop Linux compositors/Display managers do not have support.

Someone got it to work yesterday, but whats with all the hate towards the dev? I saw it in the other thread and it makes no sense

Because he literally runs a cult of fanboys that attacks anyone that disagrees with him, and it can be over small things.

With a little less Hyperbole, mind giving us more info?

I’m not familiar with the dev or the “followers”.

1 Like

He’s pretty much Elon Musk and his fans are fanboys that defend him no matter what.

It’s Joshua Ashton from the DXVK devs.

RHs HDR HackFest happening in April!

fwiw, you get Kodi in HDR Linux (LibreELEC and CoreELEC) on some SBCs like Pi4 / odroid n2+ (and other amlogic), and on some Rockchips

Wasn’t aware of the Pi having HDR support at all, any documentation on this capability?

Outside of 4K / HDR - LibreELEC.wiki which mentions HDR in passing, specifically on android.