Gamescope for AMD GPUs getting HDR. (Too bad Nvidia, too bad it's a toxic dev)

Sorry Nvidia users. Unless Nvidia gets their head out of their ass on EGLstreams for Wayland, which is highly unlikely of some GPUs who’s support has already ended, (yeah, that’s the cost of using proprietary drivers) this won’t come to Nvidia GPUs.

Also, the dev that enabled this has a toxic cult of people ready to doxx people who “deserve” to be doxxed, and enables it. The work is appreciated, but I do not like the cult of “froggies” that are as bad as Elon fanboys.

GoL article:

Edit: SoonTM since March of 2022:

1 Like

Pascal owners will be the most screwed because Wayland won’t be stable on Pascal GPUs in time for HDR metadata passthrough, and Pascal only works on the proprietary drivers.

Turing and later can use GBM and an open stack, but even then there’s a hurdle with Xwayland to cross, and you lose NVENC and NVFBC going to open drivers. Yet using the proprietary drivers they put in stupid limits in unimplemented Vulkan/Wayland calls that would be solved in open GPU kernel modules.

:man_shrugging:

Buy nvidia you get the shaft. Price wise, driver wise, etc.

2 Likes

Um, are you delusional?

Sorry Nvidia users. Unless Nvidia gets their head out of their ass on EGLstreams for Wayland

Nvidia enabled GBM support for Wayland like a year before you even posted this. WHAT ARE YOU ON ABOUT?

Also, the dev that enabled this has a toxic cult of people ready to doxx people who “deserve” to be doxxed, and enables it. The work is appreciated, but I do not like the cult of “froggies” that are as bad as Elon fanboys.

Again, what? I’ve spent years in the linux gaming dev discord and I’ve NEVER seen any behavior remotely approaching this. Ever. You’re insane.

1 Like

Pascal and Maxwell are forever screwed. They will never get GBM, so while there is progress for Turing and up, anything in those specific generations is screwed.

I’ve personally encountered this dev calling people retarded.

Calling people that is distasteful and the most I could say is I probably wouldn’t enjoy hanging out with that dev in particular which is… okay? But Pascal is 7 years old and Maxwell is 9 maybe you don’t see time passing but you should because at a glance it would be like being shocked in 2006 that directx10 won’t be supported by some cards from 1997 to 1999