Starter gaming PC

dude what?

All the i7 has is hyper threading. Other than that they are about the same.
This is a beginner game rig, not a virtual server. He doesn't need hyper threading.
However he does need to overclock. And the 6600k can. And decently.

Also with these builds how easy will it be to upgrade them? Are the parts listed more or less universal and can work with most other parts as I upgrade or is it sort of along the lines of I should stick with the similar brands as I upgrade?

All the parts in my system are pretty standard stuff.
The others I saw were ok.. but I made a few different decisions. I went with 16GB of DDR4 2400 just because I'm a memory whore and I think 8GB might be enough for most games, it might not be soon... and a lot of productivity stuff and even chrome, eats memory.

If you go with my system as a base, you don't even have to get a video card right away, you can wait until you find a deal on craigs list or whatever.

remember these systems people are specing out for you are on the budget side of the spectrum. The good news is that for the most part, just upgrading the video card is all youll need to upgrade to keep current with games for many years to come... which is why I recommend getting a cheap, used video card now, and save up and wait for a future upgrade.

That makes sense how often would you suggest I upgrade certain parts? An example would be like the video card and I'm assuming things like the power supply and cooling system wont need to be replaced unless their is an issue with them.

When you need more power. Some games don't need a lot. If you are running simple or older games, even the integrated video would work. A GTX 960 4GB would do about anything you'd want to start with (not maxxed out of course) and is cheap as fuck.. like not much more than $100.

You might need to add more storage if you have a lot of data or games, but 480GB should be enough to get started. You probably can find deals on hard drives over time if you want to add on.

Unless you went dual video card, you wouldnt need to upgrade the power supply, and dual video cards kind of sucks (but its getting better). Anyway, the consensus is single card is the way to go unless you are trying to be fancy and are willing to accept the trade-offs.

16GB ram should last you a few years.. and you can always upgrade that system up to 64.

The rest doesn't matter all that much. Case is fine, and it has good air flow so you don't have to fill it full of fans. Motherboard is Asus, so it's pretty good, but its more entry level (no wifi). DONT PLAY GAMES OVER WIFI (IT SUCKS)!

KB and mouse are pretty basic, but hey you can decide if and when you want something better. I use a pretty basic mouse and a keyboard made in 1987.

If you get a ~$300 CPU like the I7-6700, you won't need to upgrade for at LEAST 3-4 years for even the best games at high settings. Probably more like 5-6. I would get the 6700 because IIRC, even if you overclock the 6600K, the 6700 still runs smoother with less hangs and stuttering. And you don't absolutely need an aftermarket cooler for the 6700.

I think my final issue maybe with the CPU, like I said before my main game I want to play is No Man's Sky which suggest having a i7-980 2.8GHz to run at 1080p. I understand that that means it would look very nice on that but would the i5 be able to run it smoothly at a lower rate? Sorry if this is a stupid question like I said before I have very little actual knowledge when it comes to PC.

Dude, you're wrong.

All an i7 gives you is hyper threading. Games need the fastest clockspeed. an i5-6600k overclocked is going to be a faster than a non-overclockable i7. Games don't need hyper threading. They need MHz!

This has been documented over and over again by countless sites. Overclock an i5 and you are set for gaming.

1 Like

LOL that's a 7 year old CPU (from 2009). A i5 6600k would destroy it.
You probably need somewhat of a decent video card. Probably 4GB. I think a cheap used card like a 4GB GTX 960 would suffice to get started. You can throw down $700 for a new 1080 if you want. Sky is the limit.

That being said, No Mans Sky is looking like a vaporware special. It is starting to sound much worse than what everyone anticipated.

Wups, it was the 6700k I was thinking of after all. Totally different comparison. If you OC an I5 and an I7 with the same number of cores to about the same speed, I7 is arguably better. Is it worth $100? If you can get it to work on a $1000 machine, I think it is.

Sure if you have the budget go i7
But that $100 is usually better spent on a faster video card.

Where do you live at (State and city)? Ill look through your local craigslists and find something decent.
I would look through craigslist to find your monitor and mouse for dirt cheap. Sometimes you could also get components for a good price used. I have seen better deals on used systems then individual components.

This is a good idea... and I like it... Just make sure to nuke the drives on any systems or drives you buy used.

I'd wouldn't go older/lower than an i5 3570k. It has PCIe 3.0, DDR3 1600. It's pretty much able to hang with Haswell, and isn't too far off a Skylake.

Here's an example of what you can get used.
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/syd/5722750244.html
i5-3570k
16GB RAM
1TB HD
GTX 650

The 650 isn't going to shred on some games, but it'll work for a lot of things, and at lower settings for others. You could probably sell it for $50 and put that toward a much better card.

With some tiny little changes the system can fit in $1000 mark without loosing performance. It may lose a lot of style, because of a cheaper case and motherboard, but what the hell...
1 Like

because 8 threads at 4ghz turbo > 4 cores at 4.5ghz for the long run

the price is overall the same, Otherwise an i5 6500 is going to be perfectly fine for 60hz gaming

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6hswwP
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6hswwP/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($297.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($63.98 @ Newegg)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/h9DsRB
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/h9DsRB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($98.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Wrong. Threads don't process. Processors process. Threads just allow you to do a little more at the same time, under certain situations with certain workloads. But for games, or even video rendering, MHz is more important than threads.

wrong...
Also, even in games i7 is getting ahead of i5, because the thread management in i7 is better and give it some advantage.
It is not huge, but in well multythreaded applications it does help seriously...
HOWEVER:

Yes, but it's a starter PC. Rather spend the extra money elsewere and keep the i5...

But it's only a .5ghz difference with the 4ghz turbo on the 6700 with the average OC of skylake chips, that would hardly be noticeable overall, while having the extra threads opens up to doing streaming or just making multi-tasking better. It's almost a waste to get the OCing i5 over the i7 for the long haul

@psycho_666
Right, but probably an i5 6500, because that will do just fine, and save a fair amount of cash overall

I'd do with an i5 6500. Not overclockable, but you can set permanent turbo and that's fine. It will run any video card this gamer needs

I would say something like this would be a good place to start.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/rWwkXH

As for the gpu, you could grab either a GTX1060 or a RX480.
Depending on which you could get cheaper.