Starter gaming PC

I am relatively new and inexperienced with gaming PC I have always had consoles and have come to the point where I could save a lot more money just investing in a gaming PC instead of getting a new console every few years. I was wondering what would be a good starter gaming PC would be I'm looking for around the $500-$1000 price range, would like to stay towards the lower end of that is possible. My main game I want to play is No Man's Sky currently so it would at least need to run that at a decent level, not needing anything super high performance just decent and easy to upgrade when the time comes.

Do you already have monitor keyboard and a mouse or dose that need to be factored in.

I have a cheap mouse I bought awhile ago but that's it no monitor or keyboard. I wasn't really counting those in the cost my main concern in getting an actual PC that can run the game/games I want to play and I'll look into the monitor and such at a later date.

I'm not really sure what OS, I am assuming you mean operating system, I am currently using windows on my laptop so I am more comfortable with that. As i said before I am relatively inexperienced when it comes to computers and such. I am hoping to slowly learn while building.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZNYLPs

A thing

That is a little over what I was wanting to spend would you have any suggestions as to what I could swap to get it all under the $1000 mark?

Not bad but I'd change a few things:

Ditch windows. You can pirate Windows 7 super easily, and get all updates, etc. The free update to 10 is over so just stay away from the bag of hurt that is Win8x

Here's a case with better ventilation, and it's cheaper too.

Get a used video card. You can get a lot more bang for your buck or save a lot with a used card.
Check craigslist. GTX 970s can be had for the mid $100s and they offer similar performance. I've seen 980 for about $250 on CL.

That includes the montior... so if you already have something usable, you don't need that. Also, you don't need to spend $110 on your first mouse/keyboard. I'd start with a $20 logitech basic set. Maybe a mouse is more important for this.. but I'd start out cheap.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/VYw7XH

Refined and updated. Wait a month for kernel 4.8 and you have a great linux machine. Streaming, gaming, internet, whatever.

I have never used linux before so would you say it is pretty easy to understand or would take some getting use to?

I honestly didn't think about getting a used video card I guess it make sense when people upgrade their systems to try and sell off the old parts thanks for the advice.

Sometin like that

just get an aftermarket 480, and it includes a sweet sweet 1080p 144hz free-sync display, it's TN, but it looks pretty good for TN

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6bdxcc
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/6bdxcc/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI B150M Pro-VD Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($56.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($59.99 @ Adorama)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($47.49 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cooler Master N200 MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($45.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Monitor: AOC G2460PF 24.0" 144Hz Monitor ($229.81 @ Amazon)
Total: $959.23
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-12 02:44 EDT-0400

I've been a user for too long so I couldn't really tell you :P I guess if you can adapt to what tools are in linux V windows and you can learn the different desktops OK its easy to pick up after a week or two. I can only advise to always ask questions and that IRC, distro forums, and TekSyn users are great for anything you want to know about. If you're more comfy with windows I would stay at 8.1 though. I'm not really a windows user by any means, but 8.1 is easy to crack open and lock down and you get the kernel benefits of NT 7 :P Nice and fast.

Oof >.< barely cheaper than mine!

The i5 6400 is actually pretty shit for the money, the i3 6100 is almost as fast at far less cost due to the clock speeds on them, the i5 6400 has really low clock speeds

but ya, pretty much all going to be about the same, i5 + 1060 or 480

Well I opted the lesser CPU but faster ram. :P

Eh. Still overall doesn't matter much unless you're running like an i3 with a titan X lol, guess skylake does do something to make it matter a little more than DDR3

I'm crazy. I think of ram disks with containers :P (linux derp)

Here. $660 and find a video card on CL.

i5 6600k
Asus Z170-E mobo
16GB 2400MHz memory (G.Skill)
OCZ Trion 150 SSD 480GB
NZXT S220 case
Logitech KB/Mouse

no optical
no OS
no monitor

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/xZjJf8

i7 6700 with a budget board is totally the way to go over the OCing i5

Also that's a pretty low end cooler

Thanks to all of you for taking time to help me out on this. You guys are super cool and I will look into all of the suggestion and ideas. Please feel free to continue adding to the thread if you think of anything else.