Star Wars Tie Fighter running slow DOSBox

Hello everyone, I just installed Star Wars Tie Fighter with DOSBox but the gam runs really slow. Here are my specs,

Corsair Carbide Series 300R Case

Thermaltake Smart M750W

Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0

AMD FX 8350 4.0GHz

Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2x8) DDR3 1600MHz

500GB Western Digital Caviar HDD

MSI R7870 Twin Frozr III OC Edition, GHz Edition, 2GB GDDR5

Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Gamer Sound Card

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Does anyone have any advice for me? It is the Floppy Disc version if that matters. 

You can have the Titan super computer and that game could still be running slow. That game does not have support for any current OS, so it could be your emulator, your FX processor, or just the game itself. A lot of older games are better optimized for Intel and not amd, but it's hard to say what is causing your issues for certain. Has it always ran slowly, or is this a recent thing?

This is the first time I have ever tried to play it so it is a recent thing.

Dos emulation for games runs pretty well in GNU/Linux. Maybe you should give that a try.

I might be able to help you Z...

Go into your dosbox options in the start menu programs...

Use these settings in the correct places and see how you go... it runs smooth for me on any machine, even a netbook lolz.

fullscreen=true

fulldouble=false

fullfixed=false

fullresolution=0x0

output=opengl

machine=svga_s3

memsize=31

frameskip=0

aspect=false

scaler=none

core=dynamic

cputype=auto

cycles=max

xms=true

ems=true

umb=true

The fullresolution=0x0 will just make it what ever your deskop is set to. 

When you installed Tie fighter there was a Set Machine Speed option in the installer for people with fast or slow machines back in the day..

The Fast setting is for 486 or better this is what you want to use.

The slow was for 386.

These settings should help I hope.

Reev, that didn't help :( How do I run setup again? Or do I have to reinstall the game for that?

The install.exe that runs the setup wont execute in the final install location ive noticed.

But it will run from the source again.

So you will have to run it from the source location. Did you have to mount a virtual cd drive to install it or a real cd? or was it the old floppy version and you mounted imgs? I tested it for you with a cd version I mounted. The install.exe on the cd works.

Got in ok.

Also Ive noticed some DOS games run really slow... like the particle menu effects in Daggerfall and Arena if vsync is on. But in the end if all fails its prob cuz your hardware is too modern even for dosbox to interpret optimally. Hope you find whats causing it.

Ive actually built a menu system that returns back to itself after each game and dynamically alters cpu cycles and other misc settings per game, mounts and unmounts etc.. all automaticly on the fly. Here is what it looks like:

I can show my coding in the batch files if you want. lol its alot though.

I have the floppy version. So is there a way to get to the setup again or should I just reinstall? I have drive c: mounted with a folder in dosbox that contains all my dos games. And from within that folder I just change directory to whatever game I wan't to play and then type in whatever command launches each game. It's tie for Star Wars Tie Fighter.

Well I typed install in dosbox and that got me to the setup menu so I selected the fast option for my machine and the game still runs slow :( The one thing that console games have over PC games is you don't run into this problem.