Stadia two month free access

“Google’s Stadia Pro subscription” only has two maybe three games I would play (GRID & Serious Sam Collection)

Seems a non-starter, if I cant use my steam library or get free access to titles,

EDIT: Was only able to sign up through the android app… imo not straight forward process!

1 Like

I bet they can’t even give it away for free at this point.
Possibly the worst google launch ever.

Best outcome for gamers would be for google to shut stadia down, sell the streaming tech to valve and make it a part of steam.

3 Likes

This is supposed to using truck loads of Radeon V2’s right? I wonder when they shut Stadia down if there will be a mahoosive flood of suddenly dirt cheap V2’s on the used market or if they will re-purpose them somehow or maybe just bulk sell them to a college super computer project.

2 Likes

Seriously though, with all the unused hardware they must have now, they could fold the shit out of that stupid virus.

3 Likes

Stadia is a great idea honestly, and if it wasn’t for the fact that internet isn’t such shit everywhere then this venture would probably be more viable.

Lmao.

Preach.

If Google fiber had been commercially in a better place, they could have made it work, as they’d have influence over the last mile problem.

I don’t care that they’re giving it away for free at this point, I’m still not going to use and support their garbage game streaming platform.

I decided to try this last night, and my experience was 100% positive - for 100% free service/games, anyway. Sign-up was very simple and fast for me - used chrome on Win10 and an existing google email - was actually playing Destiny 2 in less than 5 minutes (including reading the fine print).
I’m not getting any noticeable lag, or any other issues -running perfectly across 3 games tested - D2, Grid, Gylt.
I actually really enjoyed Gylt for a couple hours last night. Starts off slow and childish, but gets downright creepy.
Haven’t tested on linux or low(er)-grade hw yet.
But anyway, I’m going to say this is totally worth trying if you want to check out a few new games during lockdown. I have zero intention of keeping the service, but there’s also zero to lose (so long as you don’t forget to cancel).

1 Like

OnLive anyone? No, only me? :smiley:

I do remember it fondly (Dirt 3 and Saints Row on a Motorola Droid? Awesome!), but it died so fast it was sad.

Not sure why Google thought Stadia will work, maybe because they have more money…

LOL they are big enough to absorb the cost. It will be fine … top kek… google has way too much money. im gonna share a point of view below. If you have any data centre oriented opinions on the engineering problem I wouldnt mind being educated on what goes on in the other end.

well LMAO Steam couldnt and wont do much better. The problem at its heart is an engineering problem.

Let us take a look at how video games work. Every second you move and every action you make requires rendering. This rendering goes through a GPU and lets keep this simple. Lets say these are just polygons that need to be rendered. How do you queue them fast enough and predict where a player is going to go? How do you defeat entropy? Can you predict randomness? Maybe a bit? Maybe you can brute force it, but you reach a limit. You need billions of remote calculations a second but those calculations rely on what needs to be instant input. Input that doesnt lag across an internet connection. Until they figure out how to do that then we have a problem where we simply cant do what stadia has tried. Steam couldnt do it even if they tried. Its like you are worshiping one company over the other here when the problem is exactly the same and doesnt care about either company.

You see Google has the data centre infrastructure and the edge caching infrastructure to completely dominate the game streaming. Steam doesnt. They know this lol. The problem then becomes even if steam and google get put on the same playing field… same titles… same data centre infrastructure… you still have this common engineering problem that afflicts them both. The in between and how to get data to and from the center fast enough to make the calculations necessary fast enough so that people still have their good experience?

So sorry know I quite frankly disagree with you. They should continue to pursuit it if its something the company desires to develop and NO giving it to steam will never be the solution.

thanks for the drop!

2 Likes

It’s not, it’s a problem of business model. If you could stream gameplay of all you’re existing steam purchases, a bunch of those games would be just fine even with bad latency. And it would get used. And it would draw more people in because all their buddies are already playing games there.

You know. I was at a conference where the keynote was done by a group of devs… one from intel one from nvidia and one from amd (the big three). They would like a word with you. Even if you managed to have a downright perfect business model if your gaming experience is sub par people will stop paying for it. they went into great detail about why all companies face the issue I just mentioned. It was actually a great keynote. I wish I recorded it but yeah sure terrible business model maybe but not the heart of the issue with game “streaming”… Imagine adding multiplayer into the mix

Imagine when you throw VR or AR in the mix… oh man

Imagine playing multiplayer in something like Battletech. Or any kind of adventure game. Or whatever isn’t tied to latency. Or all of that on any device, regardless of platform.

Intel and nvidia don’t have game libraries or the leverage of steam to deal with publishers.

Why would you? That’s not what that is for.

its not even this. Steam has literally chosen to avoid cloud gaming on purpose. Yes they have clout but LOL they know this isnt their issue. They keep it local for a reason. There is an infrastructure issue… Online gaming experiences are interactive in nature with many games, including multiplayer functionality. Multiplayer demands real-time response rates which the cloud cannot provide on its own, primarily due to the geographical location of cloud datacentres. Which is where edge computing comes into its own but this to has its issues. Centralized cloud computing requires companies to keep content in a single place, edge computing enables the distribution of application processes at the edge of the network and as near to the user as possible. Something steam cant and WONT be able to solve. Steam works for what it is but its not great in fact sometimes it down right sucks. GPUaaS was the first step to solving the issue stadia faces. Business models asside there is a problem that will screw stadia AND steam if they both try to be cloud streaming services of games.

Thats where they want to go with games why do you think steam is so heavily invested in VR and google so heavily invested in AR?

That is “the 1%” of gamers and not even that realistically. Even GabeN knows that and is pretty open about it.

Yeah, … right.

Steam is a platform, a well known, trusted by many many users with some of the biggest games under their belt that have ever come out.

Game streaming is a feature. That is what it would be on Steam. It’s not taking over, it’s being added for people lacking the hardware to run the game locally.

I already gave you examples for which that isn’t the case. Turn based multiplayer, narrative single player … there is tons of games that don’t require sub 10ms. Wouldn’t even matter if it takes 500ms.

To dismiss that and just say “if it’s not perfect, it’s not worth it” is wrong. And if Intel and Nvidia have done that (which I doubt) then they would be wrong as well.

1 Like

Everytime someone has quoted thats just 1 percent of whatever and not capitalized on it… Ive seen things fail but hey lets let time prove what is going to be the path of gaming.

ever use it? It sucks pretty bad. Its laggy. it drops… Its not very fun at all on AC wifi from my computer to another locally… Id rather play on an Intel UHD than stream it. Its about on par with stadias level of hiccups. If I notice it so do others. If it hiccups on wifi what do you think it will do on a crappy United States Internet Connection?

They want to envision it taking over. The companies we are discussing save steam all want to see gaming as a service where nobody needs hardware at home to run stuff. So to say that it wont take over or the companies do not want it to take over is not exactly accurate. Steam probably DOESNT want it to take over because it would steal away from their profit. Steam probably doesnt want any of the nvidia stream, google stream, and other streaming services to take from their profits so I dont always listen to what gabe has to say. Hes not a savant. He is a businessman, a decent one at that and LOL a lot of the time businessmen share opinions to steer the public to help their products not because its “true” or “correct”

They havent dismissed it.Thats not what they said at all. They stated that they believe stadia will take off eventually. It has its hiccups but all three of the devs unanimously agreed in front of 1000s at a keynote that yeah stadia would eventually get sorted but its an infrastructure problem. When asked about the business model they declined to say much other than its not the primary cause. Im going to side with the people actually working in the industry here. They probably do know more than both of us.

I think seeing them invest in edge computing and infrastructure is good. Heck maybe we will see google invest more into fiber again or at least with bigger ISPs to try and fix the issues. Lots of good can come of stadia because the rich giant wont want its baby to fail

Yup, locally I have. Worked fine for peggle deluxe from a PS4 to a Vita about half a decade ago. Also works fine for Steam in home streaming if your connection doesn’t suck.

Nvidia had a million users signed up in a couple days when they started. Why? Because the games were there. You didn’t have to purchase titles exclusively on there. If people don’t have to repurchase the stuff they already have on steam but can stream them anywhere, they would do it. Or on the Epic store to play metro or fortnite or whatever. If Actiblizz had that feature for WoW, I would totally look into that! Not to run the latest raid but for doing old world farming and the auction house … sure!

It’s simple: Content is king. And Stadia doesn’t have any for cheap. So they fail. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 Like

We shall see. I think Google may surprise you in the cards they might be able to play that neither of us know about. They have done it numerous times before :wink:

As for their launch… definitely worst launch ever lmao

This 100%, describes both useful and failed from Zune, Windows Phone, Epic games store to any number of other endeavors.