SSD stops showing in BIOS

I have 2 SSD in my system 1 for ubuntu and 1 for windows like this: https://prnt.sc/qqso3m

This worked fine for almost 2 months but now it suddenly stopped showing the CT1000M in the BIOS which has my ubuntu installation but not the boot section. The last time I used it I was using ubuntu.

After the drive stopped showing it would take a really long time to get trough the BIOS screen before it boots my windows. This was gone after removing the CT1000M that did not show up anymore. So its was trying to see the SSD and make sense of it but it couldn’t.

I tried changing cables and PSU which did not made it show up.
After that I tried it in another PC where it was the nr 1 in the boot order and it worked fine and I could get my files off it by booting a ubuntu usb.

Then I put it in the same PC it worked in but moved it to where the CD-rom drive was so not in the nr 1 in the boot order anymore and it did not show up anymore.

So my suspicion is that something on the drive might be corrupt so that the BIOS thinks its not bootable or something so it just removes it from the list in the BIOS.

How old is the SSD… If it isn’t showing in the BIOS then something is going wrong during post.
I wouldn’t think that something being corrupt on the drive boot would make it not show in BIOS.

I would try getting a hard drive dock then try to see if you can access it on a windows or other known working machine.

I can acces it on my other Ubuntu machine when I connect it to the SATA port that is currently first in the boot order. So i was able to backup some things. but when I move it to any other than the first SATA port in the boot order it does not see the drive in the BIOS.

If it is showing on a different SATA port you should be able to adjust the boot priority to make it the first in the order.

did you also swap sata cables and ports?

off the topic, recently I’ve had situation where in middle of nothing my drives disappeared from arch/bios/etc, so i tought that my sata controler on board died, after 1 month I was curious and started inspecting issue, removed 1 ram stick and suddenly everything was normal again, anyone else had these issues? @SgtAwesomesauce

1 Like

I had the same exact issue on my UEFI Asus z87-k motherboard with my Kingston hyperx 220 120GB sata ssd from 2013.

It started with these issues, however it evolved in to the drive causing my computer to permanently hang on the UEFI splash screen unless the drive was entirely unplugged.

What fixed it for me, was flashing a firmware update for the sata SSD that I had missed. Because of its condition however, the only way to boot up with the problem SSD was setting its sata port to hot-swap mode, unplugging the SSD, booting in to a Windows installation on a separate drive that worked, and running the SSD firmware updater for my Kingston ssd. It fixed it completely.

Another thing that happened to me a few days ago however was my computer wouldn’t even go to the UEFI splash screen. It would just turn on and off over and over. I thought my motherboard had died. I opened the case and started wiggling power cables and making sure all the connections on the PSU and motherboard were tight, even removed some and plugged them back in for good measure… It fixed it completely. It wasn’t showing my other ramstick when I first booted up (only 4 instead of 8GB) so I wiggled that ramstick and restarted. Voila it all works and both ram sticks show now lol

Did you try unplugging the windows drive/any other drives, that is, booting with only the linux drive?

Have the same issue with Crucial m4 120G SSD, Asus Sabertooth Z77 and Asrock Z77 Pro4 motherboards. It’s a pretty widespread bug in early SSD firmware in my experience, if you don’t have an option of updating it, try to powercycle your PC, unplug from power source for couple of minutes, let it sit in BIOS for some time and stuff like that. Mine appears after some tinkering, sometimes it needs couple of seconds, sometimes almost half an hour. No hangs and other problems once it’s there.
It also does not depend on the OS installed on it, I use this SSD for Windows and another one for Linux just like you.
Often it is caused by CMOS resetting and/or alternating like applying voltage levels while overclocking, so this mostly does not happen when I just power the PC off and on normally.

Updated the SSD with the latest firmware but still does not show up in BIOS.
I have read that it also could be the BIOS that is causing problems. On older versions of the BIOS people had problems with the drives disappearing. And this also seems on of the most-likely things since it shows in my other PC.

Will update this tread again when I tried it out.

Resetting the BIOS and putting it on default settings fixed it.
Not sure why changing boot order could cause this.