SSD Firmware update - On windows

I want to update the firmware on all my ssds but of course the ADATA tool is a wndows .exe.

I am a fulltime linux user. is there a way, legallly, to get a temperary windows license?

You can legally run windows as an evaluation, but might have to leave the network unplugged during install, unless you want to be forced to create/use a Microsoft account during install.
MS also offer permanently free-to-use VM images, which you could pass the drive through to, but I suggest just running in evaluation mode.

1 Like

Just say no :man_shrugging: the option is still there

1 Like

Thanks. It’s been quite a while.

@Trooper_ish
ya i fresh installed my wifes lenovo laptop with win10 an remember leaving the internet
connection undone. Dopeness. I’ll just grab a junk drive an letter rip.

Tanks

1 Like

If you run the Windows Insider builds you can “evaluate” for as long as you like. The timers reset every time a new build is installed.

I have a Windows VM image on a Fedora Linux laptop that’s been “evaluating” Windows for almost two years.

1 Like

Last I heard, that only applies to ms surface tablets.

Any other situation still shows the offline account button in the corner of that page.

I recently did a fresh install on the latest W10 and the option to make a local account is still there, just a bit hidden. Just tell the installer you don’t have a Windows key. Have not tried using ADATA’s tool to update firmaware (only tried on Samsung disks yet), but I assume if it sees the drive it should be no problem.

There is a firmaware update tool in Linux, but to me the instructions seem a bit vague. I guess you can just download an image with the firmware and extracted with the tool. Never tried it and I think ADATA does not provide ISO images with their SSD firmaware either (Samsung does).

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.