SSD Defrag problem!

Hi all, I think I've posted this problem in the right forums :P

I recently built my own PC which uses an SSD as the local disk. The computer runs Windows 7 Home Premium.

When I set up my computer, I made a schedule for the defragmenter to defrag my HDD, but the SSD didn't show up in the disk selection so I assumed that the defragmenter wouldn't touch it, since it wasn't available to select.

About a month later, I opened defragmenter to check something and saw that my SSD had been defragmented once a week, every week since I set up the schedule. However, when I tried to edit the schedule to fix this, the SSD stil doesn't show up, so I can't stop it.

Does anyone have any fixes? Thanks :)

There are some pictures belows to show the problem:

Try running windows experience index assessment. It should properly detect the SSD.

Thanks for the suggestion, I just ran it and it hasn't recognised it :(

Untick "Select all disks" and only tick "E:" If you can.

I've tried to do that too, if I do that, since the E: drive is the only one available, the select all disks option is also toggled.

Have you tried downloading and installing the proper drivers for your SSD from the manufacturer? Depending on the controller for it, your computer might have not noticed that it is an SSD, and continues to defrag it anyway.

My suggestion to you would be to turn off the schedule entirely.. windows defrag isn't all that great to begin with. Just turn it off and run it individually with a program like Auslogics Disk Defrag. That program will allow you to not only defrag your disks, but optimize the cluster arrangment so that all data on a spindle is in front of the drive rather than scattered. That's not the only free utility out there.. there are others. But start by turning off the schedule so you dont have to worry about your SSD.

Lastly make sure you're SSD's interface mode is set to AHCI mode with the latest firmware to take advantage of the TRIM feature.

For the love of God, please turn off the defragmenter, and do non-scheduled de-frags on your HDD. Just knowing that you de-fragged an SSD killed me a little inside. 

You don't need to de-frag so often, at most around once monthly.

Why do you even defrag your SSD? It does nothing to improve the performance. Heck, it's actually shorthening your SSD's life.

i would suggest actually reading the post before commenting. The whole reason he posted the topic was to find a way to ensure he isnt defragging the drive on accident.

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/the-ssd-optimization-guide-ultimate-windows-8-edition/ follow this guide

Thanks for the help guys, Ill just turn my defragmenter schedule off and make do. Your comments were helpful :)

As for Hersa and William, as Saybol pointed out the whole reason I posted here was because I do NOT want to defrag my SSD. It was defragged without my knowledge.

Oh and I do have Samsung Magician, the official firmware updater. It says it is up to date and AHCI is on:

DO NOT defrag your SSD; you will destroy your data.

Was in a hurry; all I saw was SSD and defrag, so I immediately made the connection. My mistake. I will sacrifice 1000 pygmy goats in the name of Domesticated Pebble to right my wrong.

Will you read the post before posting yourself please? It's obvious you shouldn't defrag an SSD -.-

Seriously, you're a moderator. Read the posts.

one of the most uneducated responses i've read all day.

The reason you shouldn't defrag an SSD has nothing to do with data loss. It's about the lifespan of the memory on the drive. Defragging moves data around on a drive, doing excessive reading and writing to accomplish this. Because SSD memory clusters are rated for a lifetime amount of writes, you want to eliminate unnecessary writes to increase the lifespan of your device. 

Defragging was something developed for the standard spindle hard disk drives because when relavent data is located in one place on the disk its easier for the drive to find it and use it. Allowing a disk drive to become heavily fragmented can reduce its performance and overwork the drive.

This is not a problem on SSD's due to sheer speed, and because the drive purposely spreads the data across its many memory custers to ensure that every cluster is receiving the same amount of wear and tear.

Please read up before blasting people.

I'm containing my laughter over here.