SRIOV on Intel graphics (12th gen laptops, etc.)

Hey folks, I’m new to this forum but I’m a long time viewer of level1. I’m here to point out some recent progress has been made getting SRIOV to work on intel graphics, which level1 made a video about.

This repository from intel indicates that they have a working implementation on Ubuntu: github. com/intel/kubevirt-gfx-sriov/tree/main

Additionally, this repository claims to have a working 6.1-6.3 kernel module: github. com/strongtz/i915-sriov-dkms . I found it linked from this arch wiki page: wiki.archlinux. org/title/QEMU/Guest_graphics_acceleration

I remember back when I tried to get iGVT-g working, the guides on the gentoo and arch wiki were super helpful and straightforward and it was a lot easier once the kernel patches got upstreamed. If there’s a working implementation of SRIOV, I think it’s time to start writing guides for it and upstreaming things so more people can start taking advantage of it.

I’m wondering if any of you guys have gotten this to work so far? Feel free to bump the thread with your progress/problems, or just general thoughts on SRIOV on intel graphics.

-Adam

4 Likes

Don’t mind me. I’m just extremely interested in any developments for Intel “vGPU.” AMD iGPUs have been impossible to pass through, and NVIDIA hasn’t been kind to their reluctant workstation GPU customers… Hoping Intel can provide a cheap non-subscription (:moneybag:) alternative on this front.

1 Like

It runs just fine with Unraid and a Plugin for it. I have 5/7 VFs active and iam using one of them for an Parsec VM and the Main one for dockers like Plex/Transcoders/SteamDocker.

2 Likes

Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I am certainly interested. After having a quick look it seems to be in the way to early stages for me. I do not have a 12th Gen iGPU and 13th Gen seems not to be supported, yet. When this is becoming more mainstream I will use it, but for now I will refrain from the pain to employ such early stage code.

1 Like

nice, hopefully I can get a libvirt configuration going. QXL is just way to slow >:(

Not super familiar with UNRAID OS/Parsec, but do you use the spice guest tools on the windows side? It’s a pretty neat tool that lets you drag and drop files, and it resizes the screen of the VM to match the window of the SPICE viewer. If I recall iGVT-g broke that because it only works at a fixed resolution.

Also, another trick I use with libvirt is to use the virtio-win disk driver. I heard it boosts the disk speeds versus emulating SATA. Although I suppose you could just PCI pass-through an nvme drive?

You can use whatever you want, Moonlight, AnyDesk, Teamviewer, VNC, Spice and so on.

Some are Good some are just manageble.
But to answer your question, Yes i used spice for Setting everything up Inside the VM.

Its Not gameable but workable. I use parsec for Access my VM its an Virtual Display Streaming Service.

At the end you have HW en/decode Form that igpu just use a Tool that makes use of that.

What about on the a770? I need to do this on the a770 ideally without a bios mod…

Hi, Wendell,

Does A770 support SRIOV?

AFAIK no, but the Intel Guys are kinda hazy with their statments. It could be a feature in the feature but they work on matured driver atm.

i would ditch my 3060 in a Plack lenght in time for any working sr-iov GPU in the a770 Ballpark and feature set.

1 Like

Out of the box no? In reality yes. It’s pretty easy to add support for it via flash rom

1 Like

Can you please let me know how you accomplished this? I have the same 13th gen setup and Parsec just does not work.

I still haven’t figured it out, I decided to just wait for it all to get mainlined into linux, but it hasn’t happened and intel said around end of last year:

github [dot] com/intel/linux-intel-lts/issues/33