SpaceCo Monitor Arms for 43" Dell P4317Q

I am shamelessly copying @wendell and getting a Dell P4517Q (now under $800 on Amazon), and would like to put it on a monitor arm. My initial idea was to use a SpaceCo arm, but based on their spec, the monitor is too heavy:

07 AM

26 AM

This is for a sit-stand desk, so I need as much vertical movement as possible (would like to get center screen up to eye level with desktop at elbow). Does anyone have any pointers? Is this monitor too unwieldy for a desk mount monitor arm?

1 Like

It looks like the Humanscale M8 is the way to go. Dell even lists it as an accessory on the product page. Lots of customization, looks like a good arm. Better be for the price…

https://www.humanscale.com/products/product.cfm?group=m8

Weitht without stand appears to be = 14.11 kg (31.09 lb)

So it looks like it just makes the weight limit but try to find some verification of this as it may mean the arm is not very adjustable being on the limit.

Yes, I noticed that too, but I think the size of the monitor is slightly out of spec for the SpaceCo which makes me want to go with the M8. I really want some vertical movement on this monitor for sit/stand config, so I think the M8 is the safer option.

Whatever I end up getting, I’ll post about it here.

If you are sitting correctly and not slouching, then the distance between your elbow and eyes is the same standing up as is sitting down.
So you don’t technically need a moveable arm to obtain the functionality that you mentioned in the first post. I would suggest buying the monitor and desk first. Setting it up with the included stand and then using it for a few days and then making the decision. You might find that the monitor is too tall and needs to be moved down closer to the desk.

I’m wondering if the Amazon item weight listing includes the stand and not just the monitor itself. If so the space co arm will probably work fine.

Yeah, so I kind of misspoke in an effort to be brief. I’ve had the desk for over a year. I had an Amazon arm with a 27" display and it wouldn’t go high enough. I even added an Ergotron extension and still not enough lift, so I want to be sure I have enough vertical movement just to get it where I want it at all.

I know that what you said about the heights being the same between stand and sit is technically correct, but I usually drop the display slightly when I sit (not dramatically). Maybe I’m slouching, a bit, but I find it more comfortable to look down slightly when sitting and completely straight forward when i stand. I am standing over 90% of the time, so my sitting posture is not as important anyway.

The real issue for me is that multiple people will use the desk, so it needs to travel to accommodate different people.