Sound through Navi pops and crackles and cuts out

So I’ve been having some issues with the sound that is piped through my Navi (5700 XT). My hypothesis after some testing is that it could just be the driver, but I have not been able to confirm it.

Here are some things I’ve done that I’ve heard could rectify the problem, but didn’t or fixed other issues:

• Updated BIOS (fixed some other sound devices),
  • Registry edit to remove power throttling (didn’t work),
  • Setting my motherboard to Asus Optimal (didn’t work),
  • Turning off all sound enhancements (didn’t work),
  • another AMD GPU that works perfectly well in another system making sure to use the same version driver as the Navi (after fresh install of drivers; didn’t work),
  • reinstallation of drivers (didn’t work),
  • Clean install of all AMD GPU related drivers (didn’t work)
  • and finally spraying out the port with canned air to remove dust (didn’t work).

I’ve also heard that this is inherent in Windows 10 ver. 1903 in that it just doesn’t play well with physical sound hardware and I could be barking up the wrong tree in saying it has everything to do with the AMD High Definition Audio driver, but all signs point to it instead of the bug in 1903.

I used latencymon after the BIOS update to check my audio devices. No problems when system is set to USB audio or my front I/O or my motherboard I/O, but just some issues on my HDMI and DisplayPort audio for my GPU.

My specs are:
OS - Windows 10 Home 64 bit
CPU - AMD Ryzen 3700X
GPU - AMD Radeon 5700XT
Motherboard - Asus X470-Pro
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 3200 Mhz 8gb x4
SSD - SanDisk 128gb
M.2 - Intel 2TB 660p
HDD - Western Digital Blue 1TB 2x
Power Supply - Corsair RM850X

I hope that this is enough information to get a few leads. And Mods, I’m new, so if this isn’t in the right place, do tell me where to put it and I’ll repost this there.

Did you check whatever your monitor or tv crackles on other HDMI audio sources too?

Things to check then are bitrate and bit depth (try: 2 channel, 16 bit, 48000 Hz).

For me this happens when VDDG and VDDP voltages are too high. Not sure if its x570 specific but my board sets them way to high by default giving me the same kind of problems. This happens with several audio devices, pro soundcard and usb headset.

VDDG should be 950mv and VDDP 900mv. Might be worth a shot?

I’ve checked that other inputs do the same thing. I also checked that inserting my HDMI into another display also made the pops and cuts.

1 Like

I’ll try that, Riotvan. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

SO! After some fiddling about, research and more troubleshooting, I was able to figure out a way to force the Windows HD audio driver. Now this one doesn’t allow for multi-channel surround, or even a subwoofer, but it fixes the popping and cutting out. It’s a temporary fix I can live with, but now I know for certain it’s the AMD High Definition Audio Driver and nothing hardware related. I did try the VDDG and VDDP voltages thing which sadly did not work. Just now, I think this driver is mainly for headphones as the only spatial audio it seems to be compatible with is Dolby Atmos for Headphones. Not that I need spatial audio in a 2.1 setup. But anyway, I think this caps it off for me. Thanks to all who looked and I hope this temporary fix I did saves another the same headache.

Here’s what I did: Device Manager > expand Sound, Video and Game Controllers > Right Click AMD High Definition Audio Device > Update Driver > Browse My Computer for Driver Software > Let Me Pick … > Click the driver labelled “High Definition Audio Device” > Click “Next” > Follow any prompts onscreen if any > You’re done!

But this really ought to only be a temporary fix until AMD decides to fix the driver.

Enable Message Signaled Interrupts as well. That usually helps HDMI audio devices on GPUs.