Sometimes you have to think outside the box

Temporary solution for my NAS migration.

Is TrueNas SCALE ready for prime time by the way?
Source NAS is still on Core.

7 Likes

If it works, it works :wink:

I do suggest putting a 120mm fan on top, blowing over the HDD’s. Just stack them and have the fan blow over their longitudinal way towards the connectors. Might require extra long cables though.

1 Like

not a bad idea.

looks like the AIO radiator is outside the box; just stack the HDD’s up next to it

15% less janky than my first NAS setup

2 Likes

You mean, looks good, like a 2 year temporary fix?

/s

2 Likes

My first NAS was planned like “HDFS was fun, is there something not Java based that does the same? Oh! BeeGFS? Well, let’s just buy 4 random SBCs with SATA and stuff harddrives into them.”

Then I had 4 Odroid HC2 and an M1 on some (un)managed switch (web interface only worked for ancient internet explorer) all running BeeGFS, so 5 SBCs in a trench coat cosplaying as a NAS.

3 Likes

This :+1:

And I can hardly talk :roll_eyes: (though it is a semi-test setup…I though there was problem with the PSU…a few months ago)

Scale does seem to be OK, just the apps (instead of jails) doesn’t work so well with some apps. I’m not hurrying to upgrade, but I do install it on this spare from time to time, to see how it’s progressing.

1 Like

I got you!

mATX motherboard into ITX case, SSD cage on the left not where Silverstone intended it to be and stuck down with double sided tape, molex to SATA splitters galore and, last but not least, power plug to external PSU hanging in there with twist ties.

Been on it for a month now and seems to be working quite well for me. Though is developing at a good pace so maybe in two or three months could be better or worse, who knows.