Some Zen pr0n

I assume this applies to their new APU Cores but might also be relevant to Zen FX architecture.

2 Likes

I regret nothing.

9 Likes

Let me clarify what unit means.. It doesn't mean any resources except the l3 cache being shared... All cores have a scheduler that allows 2 threads per core.. 4 cores as a unit makes up there mainstream performance unit.. 8 cores 16 threads will make up their extreme enthusiasts chip and server chips from there on up ...

I think AMD will more or less under a unified platform use this tiering to also remove features on lower chips.. Because you see.. The south bridge is also gonna be on the chip now.. Not just the nb and graphics and Imc..

It will not have as much IPC as Intel still sorry.. Will the chips slot in nicely to grab away market share...? It's possible.. But I have my reservations... And am not jumping on this darn hype train.. In fact I really detest the performance tiering they may do because unlike Intel which on their x chips et offers everything AMD will make you buy a more expensive chip just to buy a feature you might need.. Now if they don't do this cool.. If they do.. (which AMD is no stranger to doing) they are gonna fuck themselves over.. Ill tell you right now I wouldn't buy into the zen platform if it did that even if it beat Intel... Just because of principle

1 Like

If the price is right it won't be a problem. Look at what Intel does. The most popular gaming chip is the i5. It would be more affordable if it didn't have integrated graphics. Does anybody even use it? Who needs the power of an i5 with Intel's iGPU? Or power of an i7 with iGPU for that matter? That's why Xeon suddenly gained in popularity especially when Ivy Bridge was released. Sure you can't overclock a Xeon, but you get 8 threads and no pointless integrated graphics for similar price as the i5.

Can now on some c232 boards just need to either downgrade bios, or flash to beta depending on maker

i5-2500 using its iGPU. Used for :

• disinfecting customers' OS drives (if their PC is having too many issues to properly sort it out while running on its own OS)
  • burning-in of new HDDs and securely wiping old ones before they're discarded/sold
  • Blu-ray ripping and encoding
  • torrent seeding and downloading
  • virtual machines, often 2 or 3 at the same time

Most of the time the CPU is just idling along, so any i3 would suffice. However there are days that I keep it pegged at 100% CPU usage for hours on end. On those days I'd prefer an i7, perhaps even a modern one.

Seeing as it's not used for gaming at all, a dedicated graphics card is not needed and would only waste electricity. The iGPU is more than capable enough.
Because it doesn't need to feed a graphics card, this system only uses around 35W on idle (34-37W measured at the plug). Good luck getting anywhere near those figures without an iGPU. Even with a mere 550ti I saw the power draw jump to 65W on idle.

True, I did build it with leftovers so my parts choice was limited, but given the choice I would have probably picked this CPU anyway. Perhaps a 2600 so I'd be able to run an extra VM or two.

1 Like

Well there's always someone who's going to need it. But my point still stands. If AMD doesn't fuck up their pricing, then giving people more options when it comes to features in Zen chips is a good idea. There's no point in paying for features that you're not going to use. So I have no issues with AMD releasing a whole bunch of differently priced CPU's that cater to many different needs and purposes.

You are SERIOUSLY underestimating amd price gauging and tiering.. LOL remember when AMD was on top they did this. Their prices werent exactly right but because they were faster they didnt care and intel certainly wasnt keeping AMD in check. AMD will be the type to say oh hey i see that popular level of performance you like ... it would be a shame if we removed useful features forcing you to pay more money. The argument that why would a business hurt its customers doesnt even apply here either. The i5 used to not turn a large profit margin but now it does. Now the cost to manufacturer is low but the sale price is high and people always over look this. A business is not going to operate at a loss and if they see you can do something with the cheaper chips that hurts the business of their most expensive chips they will end your little parade. That is how the business works.

LOL wut?

of course you can overclock people are just lazy as fuck when it comes to overclocking and they are like i want it all easy. I want easy button waah waaahhh what I have to bump the FSB.. its an abomination.. waaahh .. LOL you can overclock a xeon quite easily action. You just cant touch its strapped multiplier

In addition to all of this AMD will use demand to price hike in the initial release. We know this will occur because it occurs with graphics cards. And everyone likes to yell at amd for it but its not inherently their fault. This is down to basic supply and demand.

1 Like

Tidy build I like it ^_^

i think you're missing the point. amd is NOT going to beat intel in single core performance any time soon. what they are going to do is release a lot of 8-32 core hyper threaded cpu's that have about the same performance per core or a small % below at a lower price point. if you can spend 300~ dollars and get a 8 core ht amd cpu and mobo which has a better multi core preformance then a i5/i7 at the same price then why go intel? unless you have a specific need that is limited to single or dual core thats needs a high ipc on those 1-2 cores you are fine. and on the other end you can spend thousands and only get 20~ threads per cpu or you can get a 32 core and if they are cheaper and you can run dual or quad cpu mobo then why go intel? of late intel has been slowing down on improvements not because they cant do better but because they had no competition. intel will be forced to release better stuff at lower prices. this is a win win

1 Like

^This. If they can get to around Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge/Haswell levels of IPC per core, then Intel will have reason enough to either drop their prices or make better stuff again, because AMD will undercut Intel on price as they always have.

Only problem that I see with this is that for those of us who don't mind buying used, those E5-2670s will almost certainly be more cost-effective for really heavily-multithreaded workloads. But that's a tiny number of people, and most average joes will use Zen for their new/first PCs.

Will it be reason enough for those already on intel to switch? Almost certainly not.

Lol you really think AMD is gonna do that.. Okay.. We will see.. They spent too much money on zen.. They will PRICE GAUGE

Like yall riding the zen hype train and I can see it now what's gonna come when they surprise you

1 Like

Lol, I am betting against the AMD Zen CPUs being $1800 or even a $1000 except for the server parts, they simply cannot do that unless they plan on going out. Intel does it cause they can get away with it, watch Skylake-X Extreme Edition CPU be like $2200 for 10 Cores. They ain't gonna price gouge like Intel, cause unlike Intel, AMD actually has a reason to, that reason is because they may have to charge higher because they changed the model of their CPU design, going from CMT to SMT, and you think paying around let's say $300 for an 8 Core Zen CPU with a 40% IPC gain with Hyper Threading is somehow worse than Intel's Quad Core i7 offering assuming they perform similarly? When have you seen Intel make these level of changes, since pre-Sandy Bridge days?

AMD invested quite a bit in the Fury Nano, but they were quick to cut the price from $650 to $500 after it didn't sell well, guess the "investment" didn't stop them from dropping the price. Doesn't mean squat, they won't cost as much as Intel unless Intel drops the prices, which is bound to happen in a couple of years after Zen. That precious Sandy Bridge i5 won't last forever...it's already considered a minimum or barely above, says a lot about the FX line up already though.

Yeah but that's a GPU we are talking about.. Ctm and research costs and supply and demand are apples to oranges between CPU and gpu

For $300-400USD I'd hope they have a 12core Zen.

1 Like

We don't necessarily want more cores, what we want is better performing cores with good hyper-threading. Because basically if they get the performance right an 8 core 16 thread CPU with solid IPC will be very competitive.

Good point, I overlooked that difference.

1 Like

They are likely going to have an interposer implementation for core counts higher than 8. So multiples of 8 are possible. Likely will only see 16 this time around, but in the future who knows.