Some questions about the 4 computer kvm

Hey all,
first question here;
I’ve been eyeing this kvm for a while 1.4 Display Port KVM Switch - Dual Monitor - Four Computer — Level1Techs Store, but before making up my mind and getting one, I have some quick questions.
First here’s the details about the computers I’m planning to plug into it:

• mac mini m1
  • desktop computer with a gtx1080 (due for an upgrade, but oh well)
  • work msi laptop (probably with an adapter from hdmi to displayport)

So here are the questions:

• Can I just use this with 3 computers instead of 4 ? (dumb one, but just want to make sure)
  • Here’s the usb devices I’m planning to plug into it:
    • keychron keyboard
    • logitech mx master mouse (this one could be done via bluetooth I guess, but I’d love the seamless switching a kvm provides)
    • logitech webcam
    • focusrite scarlett 2i2 audio interface
      Would these work with a usb hub or through the hid ports (guessing yes for the keyboard, but doesn’t hurt to ask)?
  • Would hdmi adapters work well with this setup ? some of the computers don’t have native dp output…

Sorry for the avalanche of details and thank you in advance for the help!

Yes!

I have the same KVM at my desk and am currently only using 2 with it.

You could plug the pairing dongle into the USB port of the KVM and it would function the same? I’m not familiar with the MX Master pairing process specifically, but I would imagine it’s fairly similar to other Logitech mice?

Webcams switch just fine. I’ve got a C922 on my KVM and the only hiccup is if you switch while you’re actively capturing from it, sometimes the application will crash, but that’s the same as unplugging it.

As for the other devices, I can’t say because I don’t have experience with them.

It can. You may need active adapters, to maintain signal quality, but it should work. This heavily depends on the monitors you’re trying to drive. Could you share the resolution/refresh rate?

1 Like

Thanks for the replies!

the monitors I’m driving right now are:

• 3440*1440@85
  • 1920*1080@60

Yes, that would work totally fine I think.

Youre very welcome!

Awesome! Those resolutions and refresh rates will probably be fine for an HDMI adapter. Be sure to use high quality cables, like the ones listed in the KVM compendium, linked below. (Specifically the “cables, cables, cables!” Section is what you want to review!). The kvm does not re-drive the displayport signal, so the extra length of multiple cables can degrade the signal quality. I am driving (direct displayport, no HDMI adapter) 3840x1600@75 just fine, but im using a 1m → kvm → 2m setup with genuine club3d cables, any other setup did not succeed in driving that specific monitor.

At a signal level, HDMI and DisplayPort are pretty much the same. The pinout is different and HDMI supports additional data types to be carried, but generally, the video signal is the same, just a different connector shape.

I would add to this, you mentioned active adapters and these are pretty good:

1 Like

allright,
thank you both the links and the info! I went ahead and bought the kvm, so I’ll wait and see!

2 Likes

Allright, quick follow up.
The kvm and all the cables arrived today and I started setting it up. Works like a charm in windows and with a usb-c to dp cable for the mac mini. the only issue I have with the mac mini is the active hdmi adapter I got does not seem to be working (or the dp cable attached to it, I guess). MacOS recognizes the display as connected, but the screen stays black; could it be signal strength ?
PS: I didn’t use the Club 3D cable as amazon lists it at almost 200€ here in France (which is a bit much, ngl), but a Benfei one (seems like I chose poorly).
Otherwise, great product :slight_smile:

To check if it’s signal, try lowering the display resolution or refresh rate. If you can run 1080p@60, but not 3440x1440@85, the cables are very likely the culprit.

How long are the cables between your mac mini and the monitor? Also, what brand are they?

Oh that’s brutal! I don’t blame you for not buying that. :rofl:

I don’t have experience with the Benfei cable.

Lowering resolution or display rate changes nothing. cable is a generic dp cable (no branding), around 2 meters in length that I had lying around xD. So he’s likely the culprit

I use them often enough that they have never betrayed me, so I’m the dp cable is the one at fault. Don’t have another to test with at the moment though…

Yeah I am highly sus of that cable. Test a better quality dp one like this and let us know. Make sure to get the shorter cable for best bandwidth

The problem that matfire outlined above was that the Club3D cable is 200 euro in France, for some reason. That seems prohibitively expensive. Does L1 store still ship those unbranded, good quality cables? or are they no longer suitable?

OH, you’re right. I missed that. @matfire DM me and we might can send you some cables for a reasonable price

1 Like

Hey all,
sorry for the late reply. After some testing, it seems the DP cable is not the culprit (I tried changing it with the same ones used on the other machine at the problem remains). So it most likely is the hdmi to dp converter; will dm you @Level1_Amber, thank you!

1 Like