Some advice on what to do next, linux mint, mhddfs

Hiya everyone!

So… I ‘think’ I know what I want to do… and maybe how to do it… but I r scared. :thinking:

I’m running linux mint, and recently converted from using unraid. Had several issues, even catastrophic failure… and just looking to move forward at this point.

I’ve got (7) 6TB drives, all mounted separately at the moment, and I want to combine them all (logically?) using MHDDFS.

With unraid, you divide and conquer basically, and each time you drop files on the array they split across the drives. I want to undo that, temporarily, to converge, and do folder maintenance, and eventually move data away to a new array and or back to windows (please talk me out of this…)

**I know the script doesn’t match my drives, as is, which is why i’m here. Wanting to know the proper steps, because the first try I did this, I wrote to fstab, and then could not get a boot anymore :stuck_out_tongue: But fortunately I managed my way out of that.

1. the drives - http://prntscr.com/n08dkx
  2. mount.sh - http://prntscr.com/n08dv6
  3. mhddfs - http://prntscr.com/n08e3v

First time I tried to point it all to disk99, and I believe this was my failure. I never made the directory, so that’s something to address. Also, how can I mount the drives at boot, instead of a script?

Yes, I r noob. But i’m willing to learn :smiley:

I suppose that´s one of the things that happens when you think you don´t need backup that you don´t have space to put your stuff if you wanna rebuild everything.

How much data are you acutually occupying? What exactly is your plan with it? I mean sure enough you´ve got 7 hard drives. What´s on them? How much is wasted, how much is used…?

If you write wrong things into fstab without nofail your OS is gonna asuume something is broken if it can´t mount it (found that out the hard way too). Better try with sudo mount -a before doing the “reboot see what happens”.

Otherwise I´m not sure how I can help you either tbh.

So much for " Constructive criticism is welcome, but criticize ideas , not people."

Maybe you misunderstood me? Had, as in past tense, had issues…

By my math, theres about 42tb of total storage, with about 35 used (this is shown in the first picture)

My plan right now is to get MHDDFS working, and on boot.
Whats on them, is not really a concern.
How much is wasted/used, is answered in the first picture, about 35TB worth.

First goal, get a working combined directory because its a PITA going to drive 1, 2, 3, ect to find each copy of a folder I want to move or delete.

Second goal, is to move all data off to another array (explained this in the first post.)

Third goal, get it all working, at boot, without the need for scripts.

If you don’t want to help, that’s fine… But please don’t waste good replies on pointless responses.

I am looking to right my wrongs as it were, and the first step is admitting there’s a problem. The second step is asking for help. Please educate me, or abandon my thread please.

Two withdrawn posts and no actual help. I’ll just keep fumbling through this until I figure it out myself.