[SOLVED] What's the better description for these old motherboard PCI slots?

DO NOTE, PARTS ALREADY BOUGHT, THIS IS JUST A CURIOSITY!

Sorry about this all, just a curiosity.

I’ve been re-purposing my old computers, running them as test FreeNAS servers. Because I’m using HBA’s that need the largest PCI slot, I wanted to have a simple GPU for basic purposes only. I have found the right GPU’s that are fanless, have tiny memory and do the trick, but it was a real pain looking for them. The size of the PCI slot doesn’t seem to have a specific description. Manuals only describe them as "PCI Express x1 slots…but you look for them and the x16 larger slot cards seem to come up in searches too. It’s a little strange!

So TL;DR, Just wondering if anyone knew what these little things were called? Thanks!

they are called PCI-E 1X slots

they have 1 lane of PCI-E
the PCI-E 16X slot has 16 lanes, that’s why its longer, the more lanes you have the more data you can do at a time

you only need a GPU for the installation of freenas

after its installed, you can remove the GPU, as you will exclusively access it through the web interface

also be aware that that motherboard is probably PCI-E 1.0 and will limit you hard drive speeds even if you have enough lanes

2 Likes

Thank you mate, very much appreciated :+1:

It’s funny, because when I was searching on online auctions for second hand units, I did specify 1x slots, but the 16x long PCI cards still came up - it was most annoying!

Spot on that FreeNAS only needs the GPU for the install, but I thought it was nice to have a GPU always plugged in, so I can do any non GUI things when needed. I do SSH into it, but it’s easier to look at the main screen when it gets huffy over something! Of course once I find no purpose in it and to reduce heat in the case, I will pull it out for sure.

To my surprise, drive speeds with the HBA plugged into the 16x has been very good, around 100MB over 1G network, so that’s nice (in mirror, RAIDZ1 and striped). Internal should be higher of course, but I’ve yet to test that. This is only a test rig, the final board only has 16X PCI slots and is more than up to the task…I’m actually looking forward to using it, especially as it has more than the 2 cores I currently have, and VM’s are quite painful with only 1 core (oddly assigning 2 cores disables the mouse/keyboard).

I can find some single slot GPUs on ebay on the cheap, I paid 14$ for a dell R5 240
EDIT: Ooooh you want a 1x GPU, yeah those are rare, there were the Nvidia Ion cards a loooong time ago

like this card isn’t even worth the Shipping

1 Like

a better option would be to get this

1 Like

If that’s the schematic of the actual motherboard you could look for an old (ancient) PCI(non-E) graphics card too. Don’t need graphics acceleration to install FreeNAS and might be easier to get hold off than a PCI-E x1 card (and might use less power than a higher end card)

Almost all of those will be VGA-only though (well, quick Ebay search turned up a DMS-59 one…).

2 Likes

Oooh, nice find, thanks for that. So far I’m using cards called NVS 290’s and they do the job well - and have no fan, which is nice at the moment, as until recently, I ran them next to my desk! Wow, that card is nice and cheap though eh!

Wow, I didn’t know those parts existed, nice one, thank you! :+1:

Thank you for that, I’ve already found a good card, so I’m just buying more of them as a precaution! :+1: Really appreciate your info though :clap:

What if the PCIE slot was open backed? Would a X4 or X8 GPU still work to some degree?

It would work as normal. Might hit a bottleneck when doing intensive stuff (rendering in Blender, gaming, etc.) completly fine for desktop use.

2 Likes

Thanks, I thought it should work something like that.

1 Like

Do you know, I was at one point tempted to mod it…but thought better of it in the end!

1 Like

We sacrificed an old soldering iron to melt away the back of a 1X slot on an old board so we could put in an x2 network card. Worked great at the slower speed. Good chance you slip and destroy the slot though, so beware.

3 Likes

Brave stuff that fair play for thinking outside the box…or rather soldering outside it!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 273 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.