[Solved] VirtualBox & Linux

Hey guys,

I've got a strange one for you today, or at least for myself, since I cannot for the life of me figure this out. I'm trying to run an older game of mine on Antergos (4.10.11-1-ARCH) through VirtualBox (5.1.20 r114628) by having Windows 98 installed on there. Now, whenever I try to launch the VM after it has all been set-up I get the following error:

Kernel driver not installed (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Please reinstall the kernel module by executing

'/sbin/vboxconfig'

as root.

where: suplibOsInit what: 3 VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (-1908) - The support driver is not installed. On linux, open returned ENOENT.

So I figured, alright I'll go ahead and do that... nope, I then run into this particular issue:

sudo: /sbin/vboxconfig: command not found

So my fellow Linux users, do you have any further suggestions for me, what I need to do to accomplish this, because this game will not run in Wine, despite my tries there.... Also, the laptop I'm running is a Lenovo ThinkPad T430 with all virtualization options enabled in the BIOS. Any further information you need, just let me know and I'll get it for ya; thanks!

So I was able to get it fixed by some Google-Fu and some terminal diving; if anyone else runs into this issue this command should in theory fix it. (Then of course just run the sudo /sbin/vboxconfig afterwards)

sudo /sbin/rcvboxdrv setup

Hope this helps anyone else, but otherwise @moderators this thread may be marked as solved and/or closed!

remember that. This is a common issue using virtualbox. I've had to do that myself a few times. Happens whenever you update your kernel, so you'll want to keep that command handy. Since you are on a rolling release which has frequent kernel updates, this could get annoying.

1 Like

@Dynamic_Gravity Yeah I'll definitely be making sure to remember this command, I have it my handy notes now, so thankfully this shouldn't happen again!

Edit: Added @