(SOLVED) VirtualBox guest OS: Cursor not showing up when using USB passthrough for mouse

So I have a Windows 10 host machine with VirtualBox on it. It has a Windows 10 guest. The Windows 10 guest has a USB mouse and keyboard passedthrough to it. The cursor works, but is invisible while using the mouse that is passedthrough.

Googling this issue comes up with problems caused by 3D acceleration and is usually solved by disabling and re-enabling mouse integration. This does not solve my issue.

The idea is that two people can use one computer to do things with two separate peripherals (mouse, keyboard, displays). Everything works about this except the mouse cursor showing up.

Any help is appreciated.

Edit:

Whenever I grab a window by the title bar, then drag it, the cursor appears while I'm doing that. But then disappears as soon as I stop. This is bizarre...

are you using the virtualbox guest additions?

and what kinds of acceleration do you have on? both on guest and VM

I swear I had that info in the OP, but re-reading it, I must've imagined that.

Yes, the guest additions are there. I need to clarify I don't want to use the host's mouse. I want to use a USB mouse that I've passed through to the guest only.

This setup works fine, except I can't see the cursor on the Virtual Machine. It's there if I drag a window. It's there and works if I click things, but it is invisible.

I'm gonna assume you meant "host and VM".

On VM, default (the middle of the slow->fast slider in Mouse Options on Windows 10).

The host shouldn't matter because I'm not using it's mouse to do this. I realize the mouse I'm passing through is being passed through by the host, but settings I change on the host does not affect the passedthrough mouse's characteristics.

sorry.

meant like hardware acceleration. and I meant on guest and vm for acceration.

Oh, gotcha. I have 3D and 2D acceleration enabled with an R7 360 within the VM.

Disabling each and restarting the VM does not bring the cursor back.

have you tried removing and adding the passthrough with the vm on?

1 Like

Hmm, I have not. I will try that now.

windows to windows vm passthrough is strange and broken

That's weird, because the mouse works otherwise fine. It seems like it's a graphical issue.

If I move the mouse, it highlights things the mouse is over. I can click and everything just fine. It's just the graphic isn't there.

what happens when you boot into safe mode?
might be guest additions not being installed correctly

The cursor wasn't visible before I added Guest Additions. I'm limited in my ability to test this as I'm using Teamviewer atm and the person needs to use the host for work purposes. I can remote into the guest VM with Teamviewer and the cursor responds accurately.

what happens when you boot into safe mode though. starting to sound like windows is being windows and has nothing to do with being in a VM

Hey, end game for me with this setup is using linux as the host with two Windows guests, but I can't do that at the moment.

It may be. I wouldn't know how to test that though. I've never had this issue before in a non-virtualized system.

The cursor appears and acts correctly when remoting in. At the moment I have it set to invert on background, and through TV, it is definitely inverting correctly.

Hmm, not sure what I did to get it to work, but it's working now according to people who are there. Wonderful.

Either switching the mouse to Inverted mode did it, or removing->adding the USB device did it. I did see it install some drivers for the Keyboard/Mouse, so that may have done it.

Thanks!

1 Like

not a damn clue what i did but sure

:thumbsup:

1 Like

What all did you try and how do I do it, I have the same problem (I realize how long it’s been since the last comment)

Funny that someone else revived this thread, but I just installed Guest Additions and it caused my mouse to become invisible, was hoping it was just something stupid that I was missing
Edit: the only thing I’ve found that helps is uninstalling Guest Additions (Windows 10 host, Windows 10 VM)