[Solved] Undervolting/underclocking Ryzen

Hi, I finally got my new rig put together, but the CPU is running a bit hot for my taste, so I thought - Hey, I don’t need all that speed anyway, and how hard can it be to turn it down a notch?
Well, as it happens, quite a lot harder than expected. Granted I don’t have any experience with overclocking, but I am fairly tech savy, and there are options in BIOS to adjust the voltage, or so it seems, only even when enabled they won’t actually let me adjust anything.
Anyhow, I’m running the Ryzen 2700x on the Asus Rog Swifth x470-i Gaming, if that makes any difference, and I’d very much appreciate some advice, because I really can’t fit a bigger cooler.

Best regards.

Edit:
For future comparison, I have manage what seem to be a stable offset of -8.125v. I’m guessing I haven’t won’t the silicon lottery, but what ya gonna do.

I believe the 2700x has a +10c offset so the CPU will report 10c over what the sensor actually reads. Some software will compensate for this, some will not or need a manual tweak so double check the software you are using for temp monitoring.

1 Like

That is good to know. I will have to investigate further. The fan doesn’t seem to understand this however, in Linux at least, but it’s all pretty new. Suppose it’ll be solved in time.

Regardless I’ll make sure to boot up in windows to check what’s reported there.

Thanks.

Can you define what “a bit hot” means for you? Because Ryzen is completely fine up to ~80°C…

As for the voltage, on some boards you need to enable that those values actually do anything, not sure how it is in the Asus UEFI though.

Which software are you using for the temperature readout?

The fan doesn’t know and doesn’t care about temperate, it just spins however fast the fan controller wants it to spin.

I suppose “a bit hot” simply means hotter that necessary, but my main annoyance is the fan noise. It is not deafening, but it is certainly notable, and that’s coming from a fan which is supposed to just about as quiet as you can get.

As for the CPU being fine at 80, I must disagree, not least because I expect it to last for a long time.

As for the actual CPU temperature, LM Sensors is showing a pretty stable 50c doing nothing more than writing this reply. Can I keep that down under load? perhaps, but if the noise annoys me at idle, imagine what it’ll do when it actually has to work at it.

Silicon doesn’t really care about temperature if it’s inside the specs. Typically that is around 100°C to 110°C and the PC will turn off long before that due to temperature protection. Heat does not degrade it in any measurable way in a reasonable timespan.

50° Idle does seem a little high though. Have you checked paste application, re-seated the cooler and the usual steps?

Also what kind of components are you using anyway?
Cooler, case, fans

It is possible that I got a case of bad paste application, and the cooler is a bit under powered, being a Noctua l9x65, but that’s all I could get room for in the case, which is a Silverstone Milo ml08, which doesn’t help either, nor does the Asus Rog Swift Vega 64 I suppose.
Still, for the most part I don’t intent stress it very much, so it should be possible to make it works.
Taking of the cooler and reapplying paste is not something I look forward to, it has been a struggle to say the least to get everything to fit. I only succeeded today putting on both side panels, having had the hardware since Friday, and I had to be very careful with the cables, ruining the sub3 connector in the process, mod the case slightly and take off the shroud and fan sticker from the graphics card. :wink:

So all in all, if I could save a little power and solve the problem by undervolting, I wouldn’t mind in the slightest.

Hm well, it’s not the best case in terms of Airflow I guess and a GPU that blows heat into the case isn’t going to help either.

Honestly in that case 50°C isn’t all that bad considering it’s only a 92mm fan.

But anyway, reducing the voltage or multiplier should work, but I don’t have an asus board so I can’t say how the over-/underclocking works there.

1 Like

the GPU is pretty much isolated I should say. Basically has it’s own intake and went, but as for the rest, no the airflow isn’t great. There is a slight possibility that I might be able to fit a number slim 80mm fans to the outtake at the bottom, and I might even be able to fit a bigger fan in place of the CPU fan. I know Noctua makes a 120mm fan just 1mm thicker than the current one, but while that would certainly help with airflow, I fear it wouldn’t do the CPU any favors.

Anyway, I suppose I’ll just have to come up with a better solution.

Well, I figure out the undervolting part. It was simply a matter of lag of instructions. I suppose if I’d just read the manual I wouldn’t have had this pleasant conversation, though for now it doesn’t seem to have had much of an impact.

Can anyone tell me what amount you normally undervolt with? .1 doesn’t really seem like a lot.

Still kind of a question

Even though solved

That depends on the silicon lottery.
There is no general voltage for undervolting. Some CPUs might go down 0.1 V or more, some might not even post at 0.05V less.

1 Like

Well, just a quick one. I’m sure I can find the answer somewhere. Didn’t realize you where so adamant about closing threads. Is somewhat new here.

Ok, so it’s not off by a large margin. That’s all I needed to know. Thanks.

No, generally steps in CPU voltage are pretty small, because the max save voltage is typically pretty low to begin with (1.5V iirc).

1 Like

My bad, just got a bit over zealous.

2 Likes