[solved] Ubuntu - Possible to bypass the need to "dpkg --configure -a"

So, I was installing virtualbox and an Ubuntu notebook of mine and when installing it prompted me the following:

Your system has UEFI Secure Boot enabled. UEFI Secure Boot is not compatible with the use of third-party drivers.

The system will assist you in disabling UEFI Secure Boot. To ensure that this change is being made by you as an authorized user, and not by an attacker, you must choose a password now and then use the same password after reboot to confirm the change.

If you choose to proceed but do not confirm the password upon reboot, Ubuntu will still be able to boot on your system but these third-party drivers will not be available for your hardware.

So, my problem here is, that this laptop's screen isn't working anymore. I am able to attach another screen via hdmi for instance, but this screen only becomes available at login time. UEFI is not working with a second screen attached (I had to start the Ubuntu installation blindly). I fear that changes these settings will boot me into UEFI or somewhere else, where my screen is not working - like this guy mentioned here:

Anyway, I tired to get rid of virtualbox again with sudo apt-get purge virtualbox*, but I was prompted to run Preformatted text in order to install the package (which is NOT what I want to do). I tried sudo apt-get clean && apt-get autoremove but this started the install process again.

Is there a way to delete the package, without installing it and being booted into UEFI?

I was able to resolve the problem by doing the following:

sudo dpkg -P virtualbox-qt
sudo dpkg -P virtualbox
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoremove

This seemed to do the trick :-)

1 Like

Good stuff I was going to recommend aptitude remove.