[Solved] Steam Disk Errors on Windows 10 VM in Proxmox

Greetings fellow cheat-coders!

I have been running into a dead end trying to get my setup to reliably work and I am hoping for some wisdom and inspiration from the levelontechs forums! :slight_smile:

My setup:

• HW: ASRock X670E Taichi + AMD 7950X CPU + Corsair Vengence 196Gb kit (sadly running at 4200MHz) + RTX 4090 GPU (passthrough to Win10 vm) + Samsung 2TB 980 PRO NVME (zfs for host OS and vm disks) + 5x 4TB Seagate IronWolf NAS HHDs (passed through to TrueNAS Scale vm)
  • Host OS: Proxmox 8.1.3 (kernel: Linux 6.5.11-6-pve)
  • VM: TrueNAS Scale (4 CPU cores, 18 GB ram)
  • VM: Windows 10 (8 CPU cores, 48 GB ram)
  • VMs: 6x fedora 38 vms for a k3s cluster (4 cores / 4 GB ram each)

Issue:
The issue that I have been seeing is that disk io seems to hang. I notice this when I open SMB shares from my Windows10 vm on the TrueNAS vm and (most annoyingly) when trying to download updates to games in steam on the Windows vm. Notably, I get “disk write fail” error when I try to update games that are stored on my vm disk (i.e. C:) and my smb network drive (TrueNAS smb share). Initial file downloads or transfers are at full speed but then they slow and stop / fail. Intermittently it will work if I reattempt, but this issue has become annoying as I haven’t been able to update steam games in about 4 weeks due to this failure.

Initially thought that the SMB share was to blame, but after moving things to my Windows vm’s C: drive, the same issues continue to occur. I followed the proxmox guidance on optimal Windows 10 vm settings but I’ve not been able to figure out where the bottle neck may be occurring.

I’m open to ideas on how to best approach root causing the issue. Many thanks in advance!

Follow up:
I managed to resolve the issue. I was on the Bluefin (22.12.x) release branch of TrueNAS Scale. When I switch to the later Cobia (23.10.x) release branch the issue resolved.

Cobia brings an updated samba package which it appears to resolve this issue is addressed by upgrade samba to a more recent version (version 4.18.8 as reported by smbstatus).

Hope it is helpful if anyone else who encounters a similar issue.