[SOLVED] Sharing storage accross 3 drives?

I have a small server (Laptop with USB dual 3.5" HDD Bay) With 3, 1TB hard drives; 1 internal, 2 external and running Debian. Is there a way to easily share the storage dynamically between them? i.e When one drive is full, start storing files to the second drive and when that one is full, start storing files to the third. I have heard that you can do this with RAID but since I'm using a laptop, I'm not sure if that's possible.
Is what I want to do possible?

Yes, you can use AUFS for this. It presents the data on the three drives on a single mount point without you having to reformat the drives and you can still use the disks individually or stop using it without breaking anything.

Alright, I'll look into that.

Alright, install aufs-tools and mounted the drives to a folder and did a df -h and only showed 382GB of free space under the mounted folder when there is actually over 1.7TB of free space. Is this supposed to happen?

Edit: Submitting the post with the mounted directory in text in the post resulted in a '403 Connection refused'. Odd.

You need to use the preformatted text button if you want to post stuff like that, otherwise it treats it as html or whatever.

add the sum option to the mount command, that will give you a sum of the total free space rather than (presumably) the free space from the first disk.

for example this is my aufs mount command:

mount -t aufs -o br:/mnt/data1=rw:/mnt/data2=rw:/mnt/data3=rw:/mnt/data4=rw:/mnt/data5=rw:/mnt/data6=rw:/mnt/data7=rw:/mnt/data8:/mnt/hyron/data1=rw:/mnt/hyron/data2=rw,sum,udba=reval,create=mfs none /mnt/pool

But either way while it is only showing you the free space from one disk all that space is still there. The sum option will fix it so you can see it but you can still use it as is and it will still work.

kane@HELIOS:~$ df -h
Filesystem              Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
udev                    7.8G     0  7.8G   0% /dev
tmpfs                   1.6G   64M  1.6G   4% /run
/dev/sdi1                95G   24G   66G  27% /
tmpfs                   7.9G   84K  7.9G   1% /dev/shm
tmpfs                   5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
tmpfs                   7.9G     0  7.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
tmpfs                   512M  156K  512M   1% /tmp
tmpfs                   1.6G   36K  1.6G   1% /run/user/1000
//vps/keys              8.0G  4.7G  3.4G  59% /home/kane/keys
/dev/mapper/data1       1.8T  1.6T  178G  90% /mnt/data1
/dev/mapper/data2       1.8T  1.6T  179G  90% /mnt/data2
/dev/mapper/downloads   917G  554G  317G  64% /mnt/Downloads
/dev/mapper/data8       1.8T  1.6T  177G  90% /mnt/data8
/dev/mapper/parity2     1.8T  1.7T   69G  97% /mnt/parity2
10.10.1.220:/mnt/data1  3.6T  2.0T  1.5T  58% /mnt/hyron/data1
10.10.1.220:/mnt/data2  3.6T  2.0T  1.5T  58% /mnt/hyron/data2
/dev/mapper/backups1    1.9T  561G  1.3T  31% /mnt/backups
/dev/mapper/data3       1.8T  1.6T  194G  89% /mnt/data3
/dev/mapper/data4       1.8T  1.6T  182G  90% /mnt/data4
/dev/mapper/data5       1.8T  1.6T  183G  90% /mnt/data5
/dev/mapper/data6       1.8T  1.6T  182G  90% /mnt/data6
/dev/mapper/data7       1.8T  1.6T  190G  90% /mnt/data7
/dev/mapper/parity1     1.8T  1.7T   69G  97% /mnt/parity1
none                     22T   17T  4.4T  79% /mnt/pool

Alright, working now.

thomas@server:~$ df -h
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1       9.1G  781M  7.8G   9% /
udev             10M     0   10M   0% /dev
tmpfs           1.2G  8.6M  1.2G   1% /run
tmpfs           2.9G     0  2.9G   0% /dev/shm
tmpfs           5.0M     0  5.0M   0% /run/lock
tmpfs           2.9G     0  2.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
/dev/sdc1       917G   72M  871G   1% /backups
/dev/sdb1       917G  426G  445G  49% /share
/dev/sda6       915G  568G  348G  63% /var
none            2.7T  993G  1.7T  38% / var / www / html / Share

Would I be correct in thinking that, to add this to my fstab, it would look something like this?

none / var / www / html / Share aufs br: / var / www / stuff=rw:/backups=rw:/share=rw,sum,udba=reval,create=mfs 0 0
I put spaces in the path since otherwise I get 403 forbidden even with preformatted text.

That should work, although for me I have it run as a cron job on reboot. I can't remember why I did it like that but I must have had issues with it in fstab.

That's weird about not being able to write the path without spaces, I'm getting the same thing. How odd.

You may also want to use create=tdp rather than mfs depending on how you want files to be written to the disks. This is from the man page:

Policies for Creating
       create=tdp | top-down-parent
              Selects  the  highest  writable  branch where the parent dir exists. If the parent dir does not exist on a writable branch, then the internal copyup will happen. The policy for this copyup is
              always ‘bottom-up.’  This is the default policy.

create=rr | round-robin
              Selects a writable branch in round robin. When you have two writable branches and creates 10 new files, 5 files will be created for each branch.  mkdir(2) systemcall is an exception. When you
              create 10 new directories, all are created on the same branch.

create=mfs[:second] | most-free-space[:second]
              Selects a writable branch which has most free space. In order to keep the performance, you can specify the duration (‘second’) which makes aufs hold the index of last selected writable branch
              until the specified seconds expires. The seconds is upto 3600 seconds.  The first time you create something in aufs after the specified seconds expired, aufs checks the amount of  free  space
              of all writable branches by internal statfs call and the held branch index will be updated.  The default value is 30 seconds.

create=mfsrr:low[:second]
              Selects  a  writable branch in most-free-space mode first, and then round-robin mode. If the selected branch has less free space than the specified value ‘low’ in bytes, then aufs re-tries in
              round-robin mode.  Try an arithmetic expansion of shell which is defined by POSIX.  For example, $((10 * 1024 * 1024)) for 10M.  You can also specify the duration (‘second’) which is  equiva‐
              lent to the ‘mfs’ mode.

create=pmfs[:second]
              Selects  a writable branch where the parent dir exists, such as tdp mode. When the parent dir exists on multiple writable branches, aufs selects the one which has most free space, such as mfs
              mode.

Well, only one drive is connected via SATA with the other 2 on USB 2.0 so I probably would want to fill the SATA connected one up first before going to the others and suffering with 30MB/s max read/write speed of USB 2.0. No USB 3 on the laptop :(
Thanks for the help! I'll mark it as solved.