[SOLVED] Ryzen 5800X + x570 Aorus Pro on Linux: freeze on poweroff/reboot

Hey everyone, so I just upgraded to a new Ryzen 5800X on a Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro (BIOS is up to date at version F30), and everything seems to be working fine on my Arch (btw) Linux install, except for one big issue:

Whenever I shut down or reboot the computer, the screen goes black, but fans, and peripherals rgb lights stay on. The PC never really shuts down, forcing me to hold the power button and then start the PC up again.

Here are my findings, in hope that you can help me find a better solution:

• disabling lvmetad does nothing
  • disabling amd cool&quiet and c-states in the bios fixes the issue, of course this is less than ideal
  • adding processor.max_cstate=1 rcu_nocbs=0-11 to the kernel command line arguments and enabling c-states and amd cool&quiet in the bios fixes the issue, but poses a similar less-than-ideal situation as disabling c-states
  • using max_cstate=5 instead of 1 in the aforementioned arguments doesn’t help, the problem is still there

I don’t really know at which logs to look at, and unfortunately troubleshooting CPU stuff isn’t something I’ve ever really had to deal with, so maybe you can offer me some more guidance. I know there are some very smart people in this community, and maybe this will help others experiencing similar issues in the future.

EDIT: I just tried with a live usb arch installation medium and I experience the same problem there.

I seem to have solved this!

After endless troubleshooting I found that removing all kernel command line arguments and changing this BIOS option solved the problem:

Power idle control: Typical current idle
(may be called differently in your BIOS)

This should disable the infamous C6 power state, that doesn’t seem to be well supported (if at all) on Linux.

Hopefully this helps someone else in the future.

1 Like

I didn’t remove kernel args because I need them, but I did find the BIOS option and the issue persists. My kernel args are: BOOT_IMAGE=/vmlinuz-linux root=UUID=4c86c780-3d89-4763-8f94-74f71dd009f1 rw loglevel=3 quiet kvm.ignore_msrs=1 pcie_aspm=off pcie_acs_override=downstream,multifunction mitigations=off default_hugepagesz=1G hugepagesz=1G hugepages=40

Do you recall which ones you had that you removed?