[SOLVED] QEMU ("Network 'default' is not active") & ("Booting from Hard Disk...")

I’m starting to get a bit tired of the problems that I seem to get. Yesterday I apparently installed two drivers for the same thing, so my computer couldn’t even read the normal settings, and it never really started. I re-installed the computer, but not without caveats…

Problem Nr 1).

My VM is stuck at “Booting from Hard Disk...”.

[Solution] Import it with UEFI and not BIOS.

Problem Nr 2).

"Error starting domain: Requested operation is not valid: network 'default' is not active

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 72, in cb_wrapper
    callback(asyncjob, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/asyncjob.py", line 108, in tmpcb
    callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/libvirtobject.py", line 57, in newfn
    ret = fn(self, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/share/virt-manager/virtManager/object/domain.py", line 1402, in startup
    self._backend.create()
  File "/usr/lib/python3.10/site-packages/libvirt.py", line 1373, in create
    raise libvirtError('virDomainCreate() failed')
libvirt.libvirtError: Requested operation is not valid: network 'default' is not active
"

[Solution]
Fixed the first problem… Till the next boot.

How do I get it to autostart?

This is how you Autostart Virsh! sudo virsh net-autostart default

I thank my self for my ADHD, and now people have a guide if they get the same problems. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Can you clarify what your question is, specifically what’s your goal, what have you tried, what did you expect to see, and what did you see?

You seemed to have a problem with libvirtd-based VMs - I’m assuming you’re using virt-manager to manage these VMs?
It has a GUI to enable automatic network creation etc.

To clear up a minor misconception:

Nope, this is how you enable the automatic startup of the default network(which seems to be exactly what you want, what is your problem with this?).
virsh is just a client tool that connects to a running libvirtd instance, and manipulates VM, network or storage settings.

Can you tell us if your system uses the system instance or a user instance? (Right-click on the QEMU/KVM part in the virt-manager VM list, click details → overview → libvirt URI).

EDIT: Turns out you were quicker yourself. NVM, I guess.

1 Like

I fixed the problem. I have a BOT VM, and it’s on autostart, but I imported it wrong, but imported the Win11 right, later on after a reboot, my VM’s wouldn’t start, and I eventually figured it out. Now it’s all okay on that front. I only have to fix the other problems that I have now. Which relates to OBS… I fixed one of maybe four things so far.

The drivers I installed yesterday made my computer not so happy, so i ended up reinstalling it and have been trying to fix all the stuff that I had fixed over time in the last install, that was incremental. It’s a lot of stuff that I have figured out and fixed over the past maybe 6 month’s. "/ And most of it is in memory, or in forum posts here. It’s a good memo page. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: hahaha

1 Like