[SOLVED] Possible 1-2-3 backup solution (theory, welcome input)

Hi all,

I’m getting very slowly closer to having a ‘system’ of sorts.

My continued concern was to have archive files and folders (that haven’t been opened in years) on ‘always on’ drives, but at the same time I wanted to create a Pool consisting 9 drives, to get the most utilisable storage space.

So I had this idea:

S1 (Server 1) would be always on (4TB drives)
S2 would be turned on perhaps once a week (6TB drives)
S3 would be on once a week or once a month, depending on importance/frequency of new files. (whatever drives are cheapest per GB)

Any thoughts on this? Sorry about the sketch, just one of those “how about this?” moments.

1 Like

You’re missing the restore arrow from S3 to S1/S2 . Otherwise, so far so good

1 Like

My only recommendation (if you weren’t already planning to do it this way) is to pull backups instead of pushing. If the primary storage has write access to all of the backups, it can cause more damage if it’s compromised. If the backups have read-only access to the data on the primary storage and the primary storage has no credentials for the backups, it’s harder for a compromised system to destroy data. This of course assumes you have snapshots, rsync backup directory or similar configured on the backups.

5 Likes

Very good point, I had only partly thought of that. Thank you :+1:

I think you probably under appreciate how useful your comment is, thank you for taking the time to write it. I will definitely make a note of pulling instead of pushing and making them read only. I’m certainly going to make a note of this, thanks again :+1:

2 Likes

Just a little note to @oO.o , thank you again for your pull comment, I have practiced this now and got it working very well :+1:

1 Like