[SOLVED] Noisy Intel Core i5 7600 cooler

Hello everyone,

I am building a new computer for a client and I chose to buy a Core i5 7600. This client will not be doing any kind of overclocking, nor it needs any faster CPU. So, in order to save a couple of bucks, I chose the non K edition.
One thing I noticed right away the first time I turned it on is that the CPU cooler is very loud. I built a few similar systems like this one in the past and coolers where actually a lot quieter than this one. The noise is so loud that it turns to be very annoying.

Has anyone had the same problem with Kaby lake's stock cooler?

It could easily be just faulty fan...
I mean my AMD stock cooler is actually really quiet, while some people say they are really loud. Since you can compare it to other stock coolers, it could just be faulty fan...
RMA not an option?

Could also be a settings thing. Checked the UEFI? Temps?

Well, yes, I could go to the shop where I bought this CPU and ask them to change it for another one. But I was thinking that maybe this is the default behavior for these coolers.

Invest a couple bucks for a decent cooler. Your client will thank you.

2 Likes

Well obviously not...

So check the temps, check if you have properly mounted it, check the default motherboard fan curve...
If all those are fine, then it could be faulty fan, so just replace it...

Does the fan slow down during idle and speed up at load? Could be the cooler is stuck on 100%. Are you sure the fan is connected to the correct motherboard header?

The stock intel fan has been a piece since the core 2 duo days. It hasnt really changed since then AFAIK. I use it on an i3 but anything more than that and it would probably be too loud IMO.

That said, make sure the bios is set for a quiet setting and thats about all you can hope for. You might set a custom curve if temps are within reason. Run prime95 on it and see what happens to the temps.

locked I5's are perfectly fine on them too unless it's a generation with TIM problems.

either a faulty fan or high temps

@Malcom_York check your temps. Use something like openhwmonitor. if they seem fine it's the fan, if they're high, then it's the whole cooler.

you can try throwing a few drops of lubricant or mineral oil in the fan bearing to quiet it down, and be sure to make sure the wires and outside housing are clearing the rotor.

I set the cooler speed to silent in the bios options and it is a lot quieter now. I'll be watching at the temperatures, but it seemed to work.

1 Like

Been using a locked i5 with the stock cooler for about 3 years now and it is one of the quietest components for me. Unless I am doing something specifically cpu dependent, I can't hear it at all, and when gaming, the gpu has always been louder. (neither are loud by any stretch, but the gpu is the louder of the two, for sure). So I think there is something wrong here. Maybe you left the plastic over the bottom of the heatsink. Or maybe the fan is bad or something.

Out of the roughly 100 I've used.... haven't really had any that were too loud.

I once built a machine with a Sandy Bridge Core i5 and the stock cooler was neither noisy nor too weak. I don't remember the exact model but I remember that it wasn't the cheapest model.

I have to agree with @1920.1080p.1280.720p that it's probably a faulty unit. Unless it's a K-series the stock cooler is usually good enough and rather quiet in my experience.

Hi, I heavly used i3 processors on the 1st, 2nd, 4th and now 7th generation.

Never noted the sound of the CPU coolers until now. The fan is really noisy and annoying.

Did you got any progress on this? Thks

I've been noticing a distinct lowering in quality of stock intel coolers generation to generation. Some Haswell stock coolers even come with a copper slug inside and the quality of the molding of the plastic parts of the fan seemed more precise than in later models.

On newer models, the fans do seem noisier, but I'm not sure if its because they must turn faster to keep up due to smaller all aluminum heat sinks or because the quality of the fans are worse.

Generally speaking, most cheap aftermarket coolers are far superior to the stock cooler. I wouldn't hesitate for a moment to upgrade if the noise from the cooler was at all bothersome. They don't cost much.

After setting the fan speed to low I was able to resolve the problem. Still, I believe that the fan is faulty.